Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Quick question about back disabilities

Rate this question

rdnkjeeper

Question

I have had back issues since I was in the military.  Have been service connected for it for approximately 16 years.  Here is my question, Are there two or three parts of the back?  I have always been told that the thorasic and the lumbar were considered one section.  Everyone from service officers to Drs at the VA.  Today I was talking to a buddy, who works as a service officer, but doesn't represent me and he said NO there are Three sections to the back.  So is he right?

5 answers to this question

Well, medically there are three- sacral, lumbar, and thoracic .For ratings there are 2- thoracolumbar and thoracic. 

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/thespine.html

16 hours ago, brokensoldier244th said:

Well, medically there are three- sacral, lumbar, and thoracic .For ratings there are 2- thoracolumbar and thoracic. 

its thoracolumbar and cervical.

http://www.militarydisabilitymadeeasy.com/thespine.html

There are secondaries that can be granted from the same injury, such as nerve and muscle injuries, these problems can and should be pursued if you have issues with them and have the evidence to back them. Of course the nexus would be needed as well but I think or rather believe that a claim such as this should be pursued because it can be won.

In my specific claim it will be just that.  Neck, back, hips, radicular issues, pain, and ROM. 

The VA is really sneaky when this type of injury is involved.  There are secondaries that a rater should consider and often those secondaries are not.

It's your job to document and tell  them what the issues are, too. It's not sneaky for a doctor to not ask you symptoms specifically- they ask non specific open ended questions for a reason- to avoid spoon feeding or leading the patient to an incorrect diagnosis.

A diagnostic evaluation is a two way street. Some patients in a disability setting agree  to any symptom because they think it will give them what they want, but not necessarily a correct diagnosis.