Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Headaches Related To Cervical Spondylosis

Rate this question

gs106

Question

Question - is it worthwhile to submit a claim for headaches secondary to service connected cervical spondylosis and degenerative disc disease?  VA sent me to physical therapy for cervical issues and the numbness in my arms and hands/fingers and headaches are much worse since the physical therapy.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hey GS106,
Absolutely.

If you are not already SC for it, consider also filing a claim for radiculopathy in your arms/hands secondary to the cervical issues.

However, it would be best to try and get a nexus ahead of time from your doctor instead of relying on the C&P docs. This helps to reduce unnecessary stress of having to hope the C&P doc has common sense. Keep in mind that many VA docs will decline writing nexus statements as they say that is the role of the C&P docs, but some will do it. If they do decline, you can request they document their current assessment of your situation in your records.

Thanks Vync, I am already SC for left upper extremity and have a claim pending for the right side.  The headaches started during physical therapy VA arranged and are noted on the C & P DBQ done for a pending claim.  They are also noted on the physical therapy report provided to VA.  I have an MRI of my lumbar spine (SC) next week to determine if that is what's causing pain and numbness in my legs and feet.  I also have a followup with my civilian doctor for the results of the MRI and will ask her about the headaches then.

Glad to help!

Well, the cervical region is where some of the cranial nerves route through the back of the skull, so that very well can be the cause of your headaches is something got jammed up.

I had to visit my chiropractor at lunch today because of another rapid onset migraine after sneezing. She worked her magic on my cervical vertebrae and it seconds later the headache was gone.

This kind of headache is referred to as cervicogenic because it is attributed to cervical spine disorders.