Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How are number of days determined for incapacitating episodes?

Rate this question

Guest ScareCrow

Question

Guest ScareCrow

Hello,

How are number of days determined for 'incapacitating episodes' of service connected injuries/illnesses?

For example a disabled veteran is service connected for an injury/illness and it states that for incapacitating episodes of said named injury/illness so many days qualifies for its respective determination by VA.....

However, there is no mention anywhere of what determines this number of days of the 'incapacitating episodes' in relation to the said named injury/illness and so I am understandably curious as to whom or what determines that.....

Does the patient just simply tell the doctor how long the 'incapacitating episodes' have lasted, who then makes notations in the patients record perhaps or is there something else involved?

Thank you

7 minutes ago, flores97 said:

Does the type of incapitating episode matter? For example, would back injury or migraine episodes be treated the same as eating disorder or gout episodes?

No, they do not.  It varies for different disabilities.  My migraines, for example, are only based off of what I report, since I am not driving anywhere like that, I am laying in a dark room popping Maxalt.  If I were to have to report to an ER every time I had a migraine I would literally spend half my days at an ER.

They screw people by using antiquated treatments as a way to determine severity, rather than modernizing the terminology or using actual diagnoses of severity or self-reporting to determine the Rating.  I would compare it to requiring a lobotomy to prove PTSD, they are from the same timeframe. I would expect that back and spinal issues are one of the most frequently claimed due to the mileage we put on our bodies while in service and the increased risk of injury and exposure intrinsic to our high impact professions. These Regulations do get updated fairly often.  It makes a person wonder how they could 'overlook' a flaw this big for so long...