Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can I claim TDIU?

Rate this question

wablackwell

Question

Hi Folks, Let me give you some background before I ask My Question I am 10%left Knee 10% right Knee, 10% left ankle, 10% right ankle, 10% IBS, and 30% asthma for a   total rating of 60%. I have been treated By the VA for the last 3 years for PTSD. I have been hospitalized twice for PTSD for a total of 3 months. I work for the US Army (DA civilian) as a civilian Security guard and Have been pulled from my duties as a security guard and given a temporary assignment because of my PTSD. My employer have been evaluated me by the base doctor and psychiatrics for over a year now to see if my condition improves enough to go back to work as a security guard. It was determined by the doctors I was not improving and I was given a notice that I can not continue with my job due to my condition. I have been given letters from my private psychiatrics and psychologist letters stating that it will be very difficult for me to maintain employment.  I expect to be unemployed with in a month from now. Knowing that I was  probably going to lose My job I was waiting to put in a claim for PTSD until I lost my job so I could put that in my claim too even thought I did put in a intent to file. Now for my question. When I put in my claim for PTSD can I also put in for TDIU for If I receive 50% or high rating for PTSD that will put me at least a total rating of 70% and I would have one claim above 40% to be eligible for TDIU.  Or do I have do my PTSD claim first and then wait for my rating than file for TDIU if I qualify. Thank you, Bill

1 answer to this question

First things first, yes you can file for both at the same time.  A veteran can always file a claim but that does not mean that VA will grant the claim.  You can also apply for SSDI ( Social Security Disability Insurance).

hope the best