Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Champva 1095 B IRS form

Rate this question

Berta

Question

I had just dropped off my IRS and NYS tax stull the other day for my tax person and found letter from VA, that said on the envelope For Your Records Only,  Important Tax information Enclosed, Do not Return.

It is a 1095B IRS form that states I was covered all 12 months in 2015 by the VA (CHAMPVA), and that "beginning in 2016, the Affordable Care Act" requires the Department of Veterans Affairs to notify eligible family members of their period of health coverage during the previous calendar year.The law also requires VA to provide this information to the Internal Revenue Service.

The letter goes on to say to follow IRS instructions, as applicable on the back of the form,( for IRS filings for 2016 as far as I know) but then states

"Annual enrollment  in VA Health Care satisfies the ACA'a health care coverage requirement."

Basically I think it means, if you get the form hold onto it for next year and give to your tax person or handle it the way your self prepared return instructions tell you to. maybe???

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Yes, this is still another negative aspect of the "Affordable" care act.   It makes taxes more difficult to file, as you not only have to have health insurance, but you have to "prove" it and that is not always easy to do.  

I did not get my 1095 B form until about March 25.  My accountant has a sign up if you drop off your taxes after March 21, she will file an extension.  The reason is everyone waits till the last minute then expects the accountant to do six months worths of work in two weeks.   

Of course, I could not turn my taxes in earlier, since VA did not send the form until almost 2 weeks before taxes due.   (Of course we could always call Peggy, and then our forms would not arrive until June.   Or, we could always send an IRIS email, and then we wouldnt get the forms until September.)

IRS is not smart enough to "stagger" tax days like they do, for example when your license plates are due.  New license plates are due on your birthday in my state, not Jan. 1, or even April 1.    This means that everyones are not all due at the same time since we have different birth days.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Ms berta

I got one too (1095-B) but just ignore it,  that's what I'm gonna do being I Already filed my taxes in March, I'm just keeping the VA 1092 B  should I need it in the Future.

After all it says keep for your Records. ..Eh!

..................Buck

• HadIt.com Elder

Berta, Interestingly enough, you do not need this form to file your taxes.  A copy of this form was sent by CHAMPVA to the IRS.  Simply check the box on one line of your income tax return indicating that you and your dependents had health insurance the entire year.  Earlier this year when I called 1-800-733-8387, CHAMPVA's phone number, I got a recording stating that mailing of the form had been delayed and that I did not need the form to file my taxes.  Accordingly, I was looking at the instructions for my 1040 very carefully tried to figure out how to indicate that I had health insurance on my income taxes.  

Deltaj Always glad to see you here.  I asked my tax person when she called me to tell me she filed my returns electronically and  I went over to sign something and pay here and forgot to bring the form with me.She said just put it into your Blue  Plastic thingy for next year.

(I have used the same blue plastic folder for tax stuff for decades to make sure anything that should go into it at tax time gets into it.)

The form I got does have me checked off as having CHAMPVA for the past 12 months .

My tax lady said it is odd that these forms would be sent out for next years taxes because not everyone on CHAMPVA has a blue plastic thingy and it could easily be misplaced.

Broncovet is right...I am sure that this is for the Affordable Care act, as proof that we do have medical insurance.