VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Inpatient treatment 21 day + 100%?

Rate this question

Jroocan

Question

I've scoured the forums looking for this info but I missed it if it exists. 

Real quick brothers and sisters, 

After ten years of dodging inpatient treatment for PTSD (service-connected) I've finally decided to say hi to my demons and I leave in a couple weeks (North Chicago).  Is it true that the VA provides 100% comp rate after 21 days of inpatient/hospital stay? I find it hard to believe. 

I do not work and am the primary care provider for my toddler. Daycare will cost $980 for the 49 days I'm away in treatment (35 exactly since no weekends at daycare).  Huge financial burden and I don't want to have to cancel treatment due to childcare. I want to focus on treatment as opposed to worrying about bills and child care expenses while I'm away. 

Is there a claim or paperwork I need to file if it is good to go? backpayable? 

Many info is greatly appreciated (goes without saying) have a wonderful weekend.

5 answers to this question

If you need the help, by all means you go. You do whatever it takes to get better for your family. I was asked just this past week by my VA Trauma Treatment Team to go to another In Patient program for 30 days in Sherman, Tx. I told them no way, I have had just about every treatment in the world and nothing has worked. My case is different, I have alot of severe health issues that work against each other, and having TBI doesnt help either. I am lucky enough to have a great family. Just make sure you got your finances together and dont go off what other people say. No one cares more about your health or finances more then you. 

If you are SC for PTSD, then you would need to submit a new claim for an increase. As far as treatment goes, that does not guarantee anything. I spent 110 days in a Mental Hospital while on Active Duty in 2012, and I was only awarded 30% PTSD VA when I was Medically Retired a year later. You just need to go do the Treatment, and decide what is best for you and your family. As long as you are seeking Treatment thru the VA for PTSD, then the Notes and Treatment records will speak in support of you. Good luck and keep us posted. God Bless!!!

Thanks for the reply. And prompt at that! I am SC at 70% for PTSD. I think it sounds too good to be true bc I can see people scamming treatment for monetary gain. But if a veteran is out of work they are missing their earnings and I've been told it is TDIU they give if after 21 days consecutive stay in VA facility. 

Even heard a guy say while he was in St. Cloud's program a rep was helping veteran patients fill and submit the forms. Some were paid immediately after treatment. 

Trying to weigh out options. I'll take out a loan if need be bc I NEED this treatment; not just for me but my kid deserves a healthy father. 

First, the compensation for 21 day admission is completely different from TDIU. TDIU stands for Total Disability based on Individual Unemployability.

If you are admitted and stay in the hospital for 21+ days for a service-connected condition you will indeed be eligible for temporary compensation at the 100% rate.  The cashier at the  facility can provide you with the proper forms and help you fill them out correctly.

A larger question is your 70% rating!  You should have been automatically considered for TDIU with that 70% award.  Did your award package include the form to apply for TDIU or even mention TDIU?  Have you received any form of communication from the VA concerning TDIU, Voc Rehab, etc.?

You need to do some research on TDIU (sometimes referred to as IU) The is a goldmine of information on TDIU both here on hadit and here:

https://www.vawatchdog.org/tdiu-unemployability.html

Navy04's post is right on the money, especially the first and last sentences!  You need you and your family needs you--Do what it takes to get better for all of you!

Good luck!

Great info, thank you! 

Ive been at 70% for quite some time but unemployed due to SC for over a year. I kept thinking I would get employed and earn more than what TDIU pays but I have not even landed a job interview since my last termination (due to outbursts and absences related to SC. Three write ups in a year and forced to do counseling before I could return to work.) just a mess.  I have the TDIU form filled out on Ebeneifts but haven't submitted it yet bc  I'm at a stand still trying to get my previous employer to fill out the  other form. HR won't cooperate and my managers won't provide statements stating how my work performance was while employed.  I worked at a Goodwill sorting clothes and work If the cash register but it was too much. They made accommodations for me knowing my PTSD  but it didn't help much.  

I'm honestly scared to file for TDIU bc I don't think I deserve it, or I don't want to accept the fact that PTSD controls me so much that I cannot keep gainful employment.  I was a rock star in the Marines; even after 11 years it's a hard pill to swallow.