Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

My husband died in motorcycle accident

Rate this question

page1006

Question

My husband was a veteran of the Gulf War Era. He served in the U.S. Army from January 2004 to January 2008, including a tour of duty in Iraq from January 12, 2006 to February 17, 2007and, then, reactivated for additional active duty from January 4, 2009 to January 29, 2009. He filed an original disability claim that was received on July 31, 2009. He was also previously seen in SWS in October of 2007 along with being enrolled in the Army Substance Abuse Program. My husband was honorably discharged. 

Decision:

1. Service connection for post traumatic stress disorder, with alcohol and drug abuse and dependence is granted with an evaluation of 10 percent, effective January 30, 2009.

2. Service connection for migraine headaches was denied.

3. Service connection for chronic strain of the thoracic spine was denied.

When my husband was reactivated for additional active duty he was diagnosed with Chronic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder with the recommendation that he be removed from training. He was discharged from active duty on January 2009, to return home. On April 20, 2010 we received an unexpected amount of money on our account and found out that way that my husband was granted 10 % disability which he was very upset about. He planed to appeal this decision. Unfortunately he passed away in a motorcycle accident 3 days later. He passed away 3 days after his 25th birthday. I became a widow and a single mom at the age of 25. My son was 18 months old at the time. 

He purchased the motorcycle in March of 2010 and died in April of 2010. I am convinced that my husband experienced an episode right before the fatal accident. He died 0.3 miles away from his mother's house. He moved to that house when he was 15. He was very intelligent and knew those streets very well that's why I don't believe that what happened that day was just an accident. Witnesses reported observing the motorcycle being operated in a reckless manner. He was riding on the rear wheel only prior to the intersection. He was wearing a helmet but the helmet was not properly fastened. The investigation indicated that excessive speed and reckless driving on my husband's part contributed to the crash. There was no alcohol or drugs found in his system.

My husband was a very cautious driver before his deployment to Iraq. After he returned from Iraq he seemed to always be looking for that "adrenaline rush." I was scared to be in the car with him after he came back home. He almost killed us twice. He also started drinking and driving which worried me a lot. He was a medic in the military and experienced numerous incidents involving direct fire, explosions, mortars etc. as well as his vehicle/ convoy getting hit with IED's on 2 occasions etc.

I submitted a new claim in 2010 with the help of the American Legion in DC. The claim was denied. In 2013 I appealed the claim and went in front of a judge and now I am just waiting on a decision to be made. I recently found a video of him recording himself while drinking and driving. In the video he is seen speeding on the German Autobahn while holding a big can of beer in his hand. I was wondering if it would hurt or maybe help my case if I submit the video to the Board of Appeals. I was told I could still submit more evidence if I chose to do so. I also would like to submit a new statement if possible since my first statement was written during a hard time in my life. I didn't give it much thought since I was going through a lot at the time. 

I had no idea at the time of the accident how many soldiers died in noncombat motor vehicle crashes after returning home. I read somewhere that men who served in the wars in Iraq or Afghanistan have a 76 percent higher rate of dying in vehicle crashes than people in the general population. I wish I had known these scary facts before I lost my best friend. I was wondering if you guys on here, with a little more experience than me, know whether I have a chance of winning this case or not. Also, would like to know if it helps more if I find a lawyer now or if it is too late? I wasn't able to find a lawyer in my area. I would really appreciate any advice I can get. It's been 6 years now since my husband passed away. Thank you!

Edited by page1006

I thought this show was going to be on tomorrow night...I just clicked on the podcast and it is repeat of May 18th show.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

Sorry Ms berta,

The show was on tonight  and it was a dandy DR Bash & Att John Dorle  were on and Dr Mark Worthing  Called in & They all had a great discussion, I sure wish Page 1006 could have called in ask about her claim and about what Attorney to help with her case.

Lot of good information was passed on tonight with Claims, Mark talked a bit about Sleep Apnea, and him and John and Dr Bash was just full of Information tonight..I bet they missed you calling in, Alex was not on tonight hope he is feeling well?

Jbasser and Jerrel Had a great show   the hour went real fast, there going to get Dr Mark Worthing to come back as well as Dr bash &  Attorney John Dorle

Be sure and catch the show later in the archives.

..............Buck

I thoroughly enjoy the show tonight.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

53 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

Sorry Ms berta,

The show was on tonight  and it was a dandy DR Bash & Att John Dorle  were on and Dr Mark Worthing  Called in & They all had a great discussion, I sure wish Page 1006 could have called in ask about her claim and about what Attorney to help with her case.

Lot of good information was passed on tonight with Claims, Mark talked a bit about Sleep Apnea, and him and John and Dr Bash was just full of Information tonight..I bet they missed you calling in, Alex was not on tonight hope he is feeling well?

Jbasser and Jerrel Had a great show   the hour went real fast, there going to get Dr Mark Worthing to come back as well as Dr bash &  Attorney John Dorle

Be sure and catch the show later in the archives.

..............Buck

I thoroughly enjoy the show tonight.

I'm upset that I missed it. I was not able to get online. I will make sure to catch the show in the archives. Thank you for all the information Buck!

• HadIt.com Elder

Your Welcome Page, don't worry about missing the show  there will be more shows.

btw, the 33% that attorney quoted you is a little expensive in my opinion'' but'' DIC Cases I'm not that familiar with/just with regular VA Claims its usually a 20% deal However I heard of Some Charging that much  or have  a 20% fee and a clause for   another fee for extra work they do or had to do...I can imagine  a lot is involved  so who's to say 33% is to expensive....its just right if you win...but that's a big'' if''

The attorney will have to do a lot of digging and records to look at phone calls & other personal to pay calls ect,,,ect,,

DIC Cases as we learn from Ms berta are very difficult   especially a case  such as yours.  you have to do what you believe is right, I'm sure your late husband would want that for ya.

You might want to ask Ms berta about your time-line limit? unless you have an Attorney Already?  Anything you can do to not let your Limit run out will help.

if you can Request an extension or more time to prepare your case?  IDK?

Take Care

.............Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

I believe Page has already asked for more time Buck.

A Toxicology report was done but it is possible an autopsy was done as well.

The county Medical Examiner could advise Page  on that. I had to personally contact the Coroner and the ME to get the autopsy report on my husband...

so maybe one was done, and Page was never advised it had been done , and it could be critical to this claim.

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

• HadIt.com Elder

yes it sure would help out to find that information, if they never sent her an explanation or autopsy report   would that be cause of error on the VA?

what if the ME/ Corner never sent it to the VA?

is it is VA duty to assist to get those reports correct?