Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Filed For Increase And New Claim

Rate this question

huskerfanfl

Question

I finally sent in the letter last week to file for an increase for my right knee (currently) at 10%, Lower Back (currently at 10% and now having to go to physical therapy because of the pain), left knee (has gotten worse since I retired 2 years ago, was rated at 0% then) and right ankle (currently 0% but swells up each time I walk more than 1/2 mile)

I also filed for anxiety/sepression which was diagnosed by a VA psychiatrist in Evansville who stated it was more than likely caused by my other disabilities.

Any advice on what I can do while I wait for the C & P examination(s)

Thanks,

Tim

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Tim,

While waiting for the C&P I would get together a list of things that you want to tell the examiner. Sometimes you have it all laid out in your head and when you get in there with the examiner you usually forget something. I would also get copies of all your VA med records since you have filed for the increase and send them to the RO. I don't know if they have access to the med records on the computer at the RO. You should win the anxiety/depression claim with what the doc wrote. More than likely is the key to winning. Good luck on your claim. I am in the process of filing for an increase and trying to get 2 conditions connected as secondary to my back problems. Dale Jr. 8

tim i have a lower back problem like you,, would you mind saying what two things your trying to get connected as secondary to your back.

I am trying to get sciatica and depression connected as secondaries. I had an MRI last month and have 2 ruptured discs and 2 bulging discs that cause pressure on my left sciatic nerve. There is one case that I have found that went to the VBA for this very thing and the lady won her claim on the basis that there was not any medical evidence to suggest that the sciatica and depression were not connected to the lower back. She won the claim. I hope that mine will not have to go to the VBA. If I lose at the RO I will cite the case number of that lady in my appeal. Dale Jr. 8

I finally sent in the letter last week to file for an increase for my right knee (currently) at 10%, Lower Back (currently at 10% and now having to go to physical therapy because of the pain), left knee (has gotten worse since I retired 2 years ago, was rated at 0% then) and right ankle (currently 0% but swells up each time I walk more than 1/2 mile)

I also filed for anxiety/sepression which was diagnosed by a VA psychiatrist in Evansville who stated it was more than likely caused by my other disabilities.

Any advice on what I can do while I wait for the C & P examination(s)

Thanks,

Tim

The Level of service connection is based on your functional limitations., Mobility, Range of motion and endurance. It is also based on the functional loss compared to the industrial job market.

It may not be wise for a person seeking increased benefits to use the term walking 1/2 mile.

Big Al, I am not trying to get two conditions secondary to back. Left knee is more than likely due to the eay I walk because of the right knee and right hip bursitis.

Cavman, clever answer but not really a lot of help. That is the kind of response I would expect from the examiner at the C&P. The fact is at 47 years old, it is reasonable to be able to expect to wlak more than 1/2 mile, it is a limitation and effects my quality of life.

Jstacy, I appreciate the advice, but what I wrote addresses the area of range of motion, mobility, and endurance. It also happens to be the truth.