Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Strong enough nexus

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

I was at my PCP for routine services and he pointed out that a VA doc had said my SI joint pain was most likely caused by DDD, DJD, and low back issues.  This doctor wrote this back in the spring.

so, my question is this...is this strong enough to file for SI joint pain secondary to those issues? I've been SC for my low back since late 1998, which is currently rated at 40%. If a VA dr gave this opinion rationale, is it good enough to base my claim off it? 

On 8/23/2016 at 11:17 AM, Andyman73 said:

I was at my PCP for routine services and he pointed out that a VA doc had said my SI joint pain was most likely caused by DDD, DJD, and low back issues.  This doctor wrote this back in the spring.

so, my question is this...is this strong enough to file for SI joint pain secondary to those issues? I've been SC for my low back since late 1998, which is currently rated at 40%. If a VA dr gave this opinion rationale, is it good enough to base my claim off it? 

Hey Andyman,

the PCP opinion could work, but at the same time, I see too many ways for a va rater to get around it. A Independent Medical Expert Opinion along with the PCP opinion, does not give a va rater any wiggle room. Sure they could still deny it, but as soon as it reaches BVA it would be approve, because of the IMO.

IMO probably could save you about 3-4 years (that's my opinion)

Edited by Palma114

Palma114,

It's the opinion of the Rheumatologist that makes the secondary connection.  My PCP was just showing me when I had asked if there was a DX for my issue.  Then he showed me what had been written, pain in SI region most likely caused by the DDD, DJD, and lower back issues. Which is all aggravated by my knee and foot issues as well.

I just wanted some you more experienced and vastly more knowledgeable Vets to weigh in on this.

Edited by Andyman73