Guest avet

Question

• Answers 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

6 answers to this question

Guest mekongmike

Here is a list of additional benefits for a 100% or TDIU rating that I typed out for a buddy here in Oregon. Ignore the Oregon part and see what you can glean from the list:

1) I'll add reimbursement of any VA co-pays first so I won't forget. The VA will go back to your "Effective Date".

2) The grant of "Dependents Educational Assistance" (DEA) proves that VA has deemed your disabilities to be "Permanent and Total" (P&T). This allows your wife to apply for Chapter 35 health benefits. VA calls it "ChampVA".

ChampVA is located in Denver, CO and are very easy to work with. The ChampVA is your wife's benefit so she'll have to make the call. She needs to have your Claims File number (in upper right hand corner of the letter) ready. It will most likely be your SSN. Have her tell them that you were just rated 70%/TDIU and that you would like to have the ChampVA application packet to fill out.

If she has had any out-of-pocket medical expenses during the past year or so she can submit them to ChampVA after she is accepted and they will reimburse her. My wife, Connie, received $785.00 via reimbursement when she was approved.

VA Health Administration Center

CHAMPVA

P.O. Box 65023

Denver, CO 80206-9023

(800) 733-8387 Fax: (303) 331-7804 Email: hac.inq@med.va.gov

Here is their website where can look over the benefits:

My Webpage

ChampVA will not cover dental or eyeglasses, but they cover most everything else except elective type requests. They have a prescription by mail program if some other insurance is not providing your prescriptions. The spouses get their care in the private sector. It is really good care and a new law was passed 2-3 years ago that gives the spouse "ChampVA for Life".

3) When a veteran is deemed 100% Schedular or TDIU then VA will grant a $10,000.00 insurance policy and "waive" the premiums. You must have been granted a "NEW" service-connected condition in the past 2 years to qualify. It can't be an increase of an existing condition. Call this number and tell them that you are 70%/TDIU and that you would like to file for the insurance. It is in Philadelphia:

(800) 669-8477

You may even be able to file online: My Webpage

VA also offers a couple of other 10K policies where you pay the premiums, but I've heard they are not very competive.

4) Your wife could attend some sort of schooling if she desires. VA will pay a monthly stipend.

5) You can both received "Uniformed Services Identification Cards" They are very similar to our old military I.D. cards. They are issued by the Department of Defense and allow you to access military facilities.

Call the Portland VA Regional Office (VARO) and ask them to send you a cover letter stating simply that you are "100% Permanent and Total". This way you can keep your Rating Letter private. Be sure they understand that it cannot say 70%. Some yo-yo's will send it out saying the latter, which won't be useful to you. Even though your letter says "70% PTSD" VA has deemed your disability permanently and totally disabled and is paying you at the 100% rate. So your cover letter needs to say 100%. At the same time ask them for the "Uniformed Services I.D. Card Application". Don't try filling the application out as it's one of the most complex one's I've ever seen.

1-800-827-1000

Once the application and cover letter comes make copies of the letter so you'll have some extras to provide for other benefits. Call administration at the USCG Air Station in NB and ask when they do the I.D. cards. When you go take your DD-214 and Marriage License. They will make the I.D. cards. The veteran's is "PERM" and is for life. The spouses is "TEMP" and has to be renewed every 5 years.

These cards will say MWR on them. This means "Morale, Welfare and Recreation". You can use facilities at military bases to include: Exchanges, Commissaries and Recreation facilities. The latter can include Tickets for concerts, boating, weight room, etc. The USCG Air Station has a lot of things you can rent from boats to lawn mowers. They also have a weight room/sauna.

To find lots of information on MWR go to My Webpageand type in MWR

You can also use the card for hotels/motels. I usually ask them what the rate is for AARP, AAA, etc. When they commit then I ask them for the "Government Rate". It's usually a few dollars less.

We are authorized to fly "Space A" on USCG transportation. There's bills in Congress to authorize all services, but it can't seem to pass.

You can stay at "Bachelors Enlisted Quarters" (BEQ) on military bases for $15-30 a night or you can use their "Lodging" which can run $45-75. They are nice facilities.

6) Free lifetime Oregon Hunting and Fishing License. The easiest way is to go down to the Fish and Wildlife office in Charleston over by the west boat basin. Take your rating letter along.

7) You can get about 10% off your County Property Taxes per year. I would call them right away as it seems like the cutoff may be soon. Just call the tax office and ask about the deadline and have them send you the application or stop in and fill it out. Have your rating letter with you.

8) You can get a "Golden Access Passport" that allows for 50% off Camping/recreation in Federal Parks. Some State and County Parks will honor it. I just went up to Paulina Lake and got in for 1/2 price. A National Park like Crater Lake is free. The easiest place to get this card is over at the BLM Office on the road past the UPS office. Take your rating letter.

9) For additional State Benefits go here: My Webpage

Mekongmike

Edited by mekongmike

Here is a list of additional benefits for a 100% or TDIU rating that I typed out for a buddy here in Oregon.  Ignore the Oregon part and see what you can glean from the list:

1) I'll add reimbursement of any VA co-pays first so I won't forget.  The VA will go back to your "Effective Date".

2)  The grant of "Dependents Educational Assistance" (DEA) proves that VA has deemed your disabilities to be "Permanent and Total" (P&T).  This allows your wife to apply for Chapter 35 health benefits.  VA calls it "ChampVA". 

ChampVA is located in Denver, CO and are very easy to work with.  The ChampVA is your wife's benefit so she'll have to make the call.  She needs to have your Claims File number (in upper right hand corner of the letter) ready. It will most likely be your SSN.  Have her tell them that you were just rated 70%/TDIU and that you would like to have the ChampVA application packet to fill out.

If she has had any out-of-pocket medical expenses during the past year or so she can submit them to ChampVA after she is accepted and they will reimburse her.  My wife, Connie, received $785.00 via reimbursement when she was approved.

VA Health Administration Center

CHAMPVA

P.O. Box 65023

Denver, CO 80206-9023

(800) 733-8387  Fax: (303) 331-7804  Email: hac.inq@med.va.gov

Here is their website where can look over the benefits:

My Webpage

ChampVA will not cover dental or eyeglasses, but they cover most everything else except elective type requests.  They have a prescription by mail program if some other insurance is not providing your prescriptions.  The spouses get their care in the private sector. It is really good care and a new law was passed 2-3 years ago that gives the spouse "ChampVA for Life".

3)  When a veteran is deemed 100% Schedular or TDIU then VA will grant a $10,000.00 insurance policy and "waive" the premiums.  You must have been granted a "NEW" service-connected condition in the past 2 years to qualify.  It can't be an increase of an existing condition.  Call this number and tell them that you are 70%/TDIU and that you would like to file for the insurance.  It is in Philadelphia:

(800) 669-8477

You may even be able to file online:  My Webpage

VA also offers a couple of other 10K policies where you pay the premiums, but I've heard they are not very competive.

4)  Your wife could attend some sort of schooling if she desires.  VA will pay a monthly stipend.

5) You can both received "Uniformed Services Identification Cards"  They are very similar to our old military I.D. cards.  They are issued by the Department of Defense and allow you to access military facilities.

Call the Portland VA Regional Office (VARO) and ask them to send you a cover letter stating simply that you are "100% Permanent and Total".  This way you can keep your Rating Letter private.  Be sure they understand that it cannot say 70%.  Some yo-yo's will send it out saying the latter, which won't be useful to you.  Even though your letter says "70% PTSD" VA has deemed your disability permanently and totally disabled and is paying you at the 100% rate.  So your cover letter needs to say 100%.  At the same time ask them for the "Uniformed Services I.D. Card Application".  Don't try filling the application out as it's one of the most complex one's I've ever seen. 

1-800-827-1000

Once the application and cover letter comes make copies of the letter so you'll have some extras to provide for other benefits.  Call administration at the USCG Air Station in NB and ask when they do the I.D. cards.  When you go take your DD-214 and Marriage License.  They will make the I.D. cards. The veteran's is "PERM" and is for life.  The spouses is "TEMP" and has to be renewed every 5 years.

These cards will say MWR on them.  This means "Morale, Welfare and Recreation".  You can use facilities at military bases to include: Exchanges, Commissaries and Recreation facilities.  The latter can include Tickets for concerts, boating, weight room, etc.  The USCG Air Station has a lot of things you can rent from boats to lawn mowers.  They also have a weight room/sauna.

To find lots of information on MWR go to My Webpageand type in MWR

You can also use the card for hotels/motels.  I usually ask them what the rate is for AARP, AAA, etc.  When they commit then I ask them for the "Government Rate".  It's usually a few dollars less.

We are authorized to fly "Space A" on USCG transportation.  There's bills in Congress to authorize all services, but it can't seem to pass.

You can stay at "Bachelors Enlisted Quarters" (BEQ) on military bases for $15-30 a night or you can use their "Lodging" which can run $45-75. They are nice facilities.

6)  Free lifetime Oregon Hunting and Fishing License.  The easiest way is to go down to the Fish and Wildlife office in Charleston over by the west boat basin.  Take your rating letter along.

7)  You can get about 10% off your County Property Taxes per year.  I would call them right away as it seems like the cutoff may be soon. Just call the tax office and ask about the deadline and have them send you the application or stop in and fill it out.  Have your rating letter with you.

8)  You can get a "Golden Access Passport" that allows for 50% off Camping/recreation in Federal Parks.  Some State and County Parks will honor it.  I just went up to Paulina Lake and got in for 1/2 price.  A National Park like Crater Lake is free.  The easiest place to get this card is over at the BLM Office on the road past the UPS office.  Take your rating letter.

9) For additional State Benefits go here:  My Webpage

Mekongmike

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

B) B)

Mekong Mike, that was good information you posted. I appreciate it. I'm waiting to see what happens with my claim. I feel it should be 100% as I recently got SSDI, disability retirement. I'm suffering from neurological problems, side effects caused by GI bleed from long term use of naproxen. I'm currently 30%. this is my first post on new format, we'll see if it works. Mike

One of my friends just emailed this-

Disabled Veterans that have qualified for and received a fee exempt

registration (license plate)

from the New York State Department of Motor Vehicles under Provisions of

Section 401 (6) © of the New York State Vehicle and Traffic Law

are entitled to one E-ZPass tag when verified by the fee exempt vehicle

registration.

The tag will provide disabled veterans non-revenue travel on the Thruway

system.

The tag is transferable to other qualifying vehicles

(2-axle, 4-tire cars, vans or pickup trucks or motorcycles)

in or on which the disabled veteran is a passenger.

Use the form below to apply.

PDF Disabled Veterans <http://www.thruway.state.ny.us/ezpass/ta-w5175.pdf>

Non-Revenue Application (PDF, 2 pages/53kb)

http://www.thruway.state.ny.us/ezpass/ta-w5175.pdf

Also in NY we have real estate exemptions but they go by your local tax office-=our town is small-about 1,100 which includes many vets and I am only one to get the widow's veteran's exemption.

It pays to check with your town tax office or even the County Veterans Service Agency on these possible exemptions.

I dont recommend the county VSOs for handling claims though.

In Riverside County, CA, the assessed value of the home is reduced by $100,000 for any 100% disabled veteran. On a $500,000 home, it is reduced to $400,000 for a 20% reduction. On a $300,000 home, it is reduced to $200,000, for a 33% reduction. Very much worthwhile! :(