Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I need some Advice!

Rate this question

wablackwell

Question

Hello, Hadit Community. I was told that the VA and Social Security are separate identities. But I was also told that if you get an approve Social Security disability claim that is based totally the same of your VA disabilities that it could help your VA disability claim. Well, I got a letter in mail today stating that my Social Security Disability Claim was approved. But the letter was not specific on the reason it was approved but said it was approved based on the information I submitted. Well the information that I submitted to SSA was based on my current VA disability and the new one which I have a current claim in for(PTSD). So my question is even though my letter was not specific for the reason it was approved should I upload this letter to Ebenefit and add as evidence to my claim? Thank you for your advise.

6 answers to this question

A positive SSA ruling bolsters your claim/appeal for 100% rating from VA. The actual ruling and notes from the hearing should tell you why/how they decided. 

CAS

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

Hello Wablackwell,

They are separate entities and the requirements for SSDI is total disability and it does not have to be service connected to the military.

I heard somewhere that each entity is supposed to give great weight to the others decision.  I would definitely submit it.

I do have a few questions, did you get it with your initial application, reconsideration, or through the Administrative Law Judge?  I would look into something that states what your disability is from the SSDI because of the fact that you can get SSDI for something that is not service connected.

CaliBay

Thanks for the advice. I submitted my SSD claim in the middle of July. I won my claim with the initial application. It was easy since I was gathering evidence for my VA claim I was able to use that evidence when I submitted my SSD claim. I definitely will submit my SSD approval letter. But I agree it would be better if I had the ruling notes from how they came up with the decision. I do not Know if the SSA has something equivalent to the VA C-file. I am not sure how I go about to get that information. I guess I will call the SSA on Monday and ask how I can get that information. I do know that when I submitted my claim I only put down the disabilities that I was awarded by the VA and the disability that I am currently claiming(PTSD). It took SSA only 4 and a half month to make a decision from the time I submitted my application. I wish the VA worked that quick.

Bill

I just want to update my posting. I think I have found the answer on how to obtain my SSD file by surfing the internet and would I like to share with others that may be in a similar position. I found it on this web link http://www.disabilitybenefitscenter.org/how-to/obtain-social-security-disability-file . Basically, all have to do is call SSA or go to the local SSA office and request for my Social security file. It is approximately a two turn around time. So I will submit the initial letter now and my Social Security file when I receive it.

Once again, Thanks Bill

Your lawyer should have it already. Also, the rating decision itself is all you should need for your VA claim, provided it was based on VA issues and not other things. 

The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound.Children no longer mind their parents, every man wants to write a book,and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching. --17 different possible sources, all lacking verifiable attribution.

B.S. Doane College, Mgt Info Systems/Systems Analysis 2008

M.S.Ed. Purdue University, Instructional Development and Technology, Feb. 2021

M.S. Purdue University Information Technology/InfoSec, Dec 2022

100% P/T

MDD

Spine

Radiculopathy

Sleep Apnea

Some other stuff

-------------------------------------------
B.S. Info Systems Mgt/Systems Analysis-Doane College 2008
M.S. Instructional Technology and Design- Purdue University 2021

(I AM NOT A RATER- I work the claims BEFORE they are rated, annotating medical evidence in your records, VA and Legal documents,  and DA/DD forms- basically a paralegal/vso/etc except that I also evaluate your records based on Caluza and try to justify and schedule the exams that you go to based on whether or not your records have enough in them to warrant those)

BrokenSoldier244th I do not have a lawyer, I submitted my SSD claim myself. I will call SSA and have them mail it to me. I already uploaded the SSD decision and when I get file SSD file will upload the basis for that decision. Thanks Bill