Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Medical Marijana For Ptsd

Rate this question

calnight

Question

I know some people feel that marijana is bad and has no medicall use. I have a appt with my va shrink on the 28th and I am thinking of telling him that I would like to try pot for my ptsd syptoms the anger being the biggest problem. The side effects of the meds that the va is giving me is killing me. Over the past 3 years my meds have been changed 4-5 times without help. I live in california and I have obtained my permit to use pot through a indepented doctor. But I also know that the federall goverment does not reconize the cal law. I have a friend that is a nam vet who is 100% p&t for ptsd and ao and he uses pot instead of the va drugs and says the same thing that the sideeffects where to much and the pot helps more than the drugs. He does not tell the va about the pot use but he still gets the va drugs to make it look like he is taking them. I would like opions about this I know this is a hot subject so all opions are welcome. thank you

• Answers 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I don't care what state you live in the Feds do not recognize "legal" marijuana they are busting the clinics and the doctors in Calif they have even busted some people that were "legally" growing their own, is it worth your benefits to "test" the federal system?

100% SC P&T PTSD 100% CAD 10% Hypertension and A&A = SMC L, SSD
a disabled American veteran certified lol
"A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step."

• HadIt.com Elder

Calnight

Getting back to your original question about telling your shrink that you want to use pot for your PTSD symptoms what do you think he will say? He can't advocate you do this since it is against the law. If you are lucky he will just ignore the question and not make a note of it in your records. If it was me I would not mention illegal drugs or alcohol to the VA. I have believed that the image you want to present to the VA is that you are a 100% compliant patient. What you want to do is to document the severity of your symptoms every time you set foot in the door of the VA. You don't want to give them even anything they could use to limit or terminate any benefit or potential benefit you might have. If you want to use pot or anything else that is your business, but realize the risks.

I've never used pot so I have to ask.

Does one need to get high or does the medical benefit take affect at a lower dose?

sledge

Those that need help the most are the ones least likely to receive help from the VA.

It's up to us to help each other.

sledge twkelly@hotmail.com

• HadIt.com Elder

depends on how often you want to roll or hit the bong? How high is high enough? It's like anything else we all have different metabolisms it is a different dose for all I remember when 2 percocets a day held the pain at bay now it's 5 like all drugs it changes over time

• HadIt.com Elder

Pot is good for some things there is no doubt. However, it is not good for your lungs if you smoke a lot. I remember guys in Nam who stayed stoned 24 hours a day. I know pot is good for the side effects of chemotherapy. For anxiety there are better drugs that are legal. Watch "Cops" on TV. The dopers are always getting pulled over and the cops find seeds or a roach and it is off to jail. Dope makes you careless and if you drive you are asking for trouble. We all have too much to lose here and no of us is 19 years old anymore.

• HadIt.com Elder

AMEN BROTHER BEN rofl I can't even remember when I was 19