Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Loss Of Use

Rate this question

Ricky

Question

Hey guys could some one please break this down into laymens terms for me:

Loss of use of a hand or a foot, for the purpose of special monthly compensation, will be held to exist when no effective function remains other than that which would be equally well served by an amputation stump at the site of election below elbow or knee with use of a suitable prosthetic appliance. The determination will be made on the basis of the actual remaining function of the hand or foot, whether the acts of grasping, manipulation, etc., in the case of the hand, or of balance and propulsion, etc., in the case of the foot, could be accomplished equally well by an amputation stump with prosthesis.

The part that I have a hard time understanding is the last part about the determination. Does it mean that if you can walk with a prosthesis then it is not considered loss of use?

Thanks

• Answers 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Greetings,

I have loss of use both feet. I use cane, however my foot doctor(VA) perscribed a brace for both feet very small in size. Almost 2 years ago I asked for increase for my bi-lateral foot issues (I was already rated at I believe at 50 %). I get a letter back stating I was awarded 1oo% for my feet (Loss of use) I was granted a car grant and housing grant which I have used.

I would say the key here is to get your VA doctors to perscribe some type of foot brace and then file for loss of use. It seems that is the key at lest in my situation. God bless.

Bound4Heaven

Greetings,

I have loss of use both feet. I use cane, however my foot doctor(VA) perscribed a brace for both feet very small in size. Almost 2 years ago I asked for increase for my bi-lateral foot issues (I was already rated at I believe at 50 %). I get a letter back stating I was awarded 1oo% for my feet (Loss of use) I was granted a car grant and housing grant which I have used.

I would say the key here is to get your VA doctors to perscribe some type of foot brace and then file for loss of use. It seems that is the key at lest in my situation. God bless.

Bound4Heaven

Bound4heaven,

I use an AFO brace, so how should I write my claim as loss of use of lower extremities or loss of use of feet. Thanks for the advice.

Six glad to see you made it back. Do a search on Dejerine-Roussy or central stroke syndrome. This will explain it better that I can. Testing done is with a thing called von frey hairs. In this the nerves are still fully functional, they feel everything however, it is as if they are wired backwards. As this has been explained to me the damage is actually in the Thalamus of the brain. The thalamus is the centeral control point for the centeral nervous system. This makes the nerves react to an EMG in a normal manner cause there is really no damage to them between the electrical points of the emg. He explained all of this in the diagnosis and his IMO. Please keep in mind that it is not PN cause the damage to the nerve is actually within the thalamus inside of the brain. Althoug there is a loss of propositional sense if you cut me with a knife I assure you I will feel it - its called delayed pain with overshoot. This is a strange animal and surely makes you question whether it is worth going on or not. It has turned me into a monster to live with. Once again thanks and maybe I will be successful on the 16th.

Bound4heaven,

I use an AFO brace, so how should I write my claim as loss of use of lower extremities or loss of use of feet. Thanks for the advice.

Greetings,

Forgive me for not getting back to you. I was awarded loss of use of both feet. Were you perscribed braces for both feet?. Are you currently rated for bi-lateral foot issues? This will be imparative for you to receive Loss of use of both feet. If you answered yes then request loss of use of both feet.

Loss of use of lower extremities is a different ball game. Are your ratings for feet ot lower extrimities?

God bless.

Bound4Heaven

Bound, the neuro has diagnosed loss of functional use of left hand and left foot in August 2005. They originally thought nothing could be done but in Jan of this year they made me a special full contact AFO. It is special in that it is higher and causes viberations to be felt just below my knee when my foot hits the ground. They waited on the brace cause they wanted to see the level and if the pain stablized. It did and remains at 8-9. The brace shot it up to about a 15 until the foot became used to it. Without the brace I had to stumble around while keeping my eyes focused on my foot, if not then I would fall. The brace has made a difference in my life for it lets me walk halfway normal without staring at my foot. However, since I had been doing this since Aug 05 it is a hard habit to break hahahahaha. The fingers of the hand stay bent into a fist. If I try to straighten them out the pain shots to about a 30. I can not grip nor hold things with it. Can't button my pants, shirt or tie my shoes etc...... So hopefully things will work out at this DRO hearing. The only thing I can see them trying to do is set the loss of use for the foot based upon the date they made the brace. Medical diagnosis puts the date at Aug 05 though so maybe not but you never know. This stuff developed in Apr 05 but from Apr 05 to Aug 05 it was determined to be severe incomplete paralysis then it leveled off when the loss of propositional sense set in. Thanks for your input.

Greetings,

Forgive me for not getting back to you. I was awarded loss of use of both feet. Were you perscribed braces for both feet?. Are you currently rated for bi-lateral foot issues? This will be imparative for you to receive Loss of use of both feet. If you answered yes then request loss of use of both feet.

Loss of use of lower extremities is a different ball game. Are your ratings for feet ot lower extrimities?

God bless.

Bound4Heaven

Bound4heaven,

I have been diagosed with arthralgia of the joints, fibromyositis if bilateral knees and ankles plus Fibromyalgia which affectes my knees and back making it impossible for me to walk. I wear an AFO for my right ankle which is sc plus my Fibrom. My problems are that I can not walk period. So should I place a claim for loss of use of lower extremities of feet.Thanks.