Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va police assault and battery in Emergency room

AprilNC

Question

Long story short if possible , took husband to VA ER for his ptsd his Dr called and said a bed had cleared and to bring him the ER was aware and a certificate of need was already in place. At one point I was made to leave him ( never before have I ever been told I couldn't be with him in ER)

when they let me back in I was informed a va police officer had slapped him across the face bloodying his nose. When I asked about filing a complaint I received the run around for about 10 days . In the mean time this officer issued John 4 federal citations including assault on an officer. I filed a complaint with OIG witness statements prove my husband never even made a move to touch this guy and so the federal prosecutor dropped the tickets except he required John to take a disorderly conduct ticket. So I have in my possession all the signed eyewitness statements that this cop slapped a man who was there for help , assaulted and battered a patient who was already committed then tried to cover it up by writing a pile of tickets. I also have the video footage from the ER showing my husband didn't move to touch this man nor ever touch him. The officers statements change once his hand was in his face , the second interview says he poked him in the chest and stomach neither happened ... I have 6 witness statements .... now how do I go about handling this? It aggravates his ptsd so badly the day we went to court I had to give him 2 extra doses of a very powerful antipsychotic drug... we've lost sleep and some times getting him to go to his va appts isn't that easy since joe he doesn't feel safe there..... suggestions welcome  

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

If this cop does have ,in his personnel file, documented complaint info from others, he might get on the VA Sh-T list due to the Accountability Act.

And if so , OR if you have signed witness statements from other veterans, about him ,  you should email Secretary Shulkin at 

david.j.shulkin@va.gov and tell him what happened. Do not hesitate to give the Sec your husband's  C file number, date this happened and name of any other VA employee or non VA person who can verify it.

Tell him briefly the whole story as to the court situation.

I have already done that in a letter to Shulkin, which needs a follow up from me this week ....the Director in question I named was recently investigated by the OIG for another reason,due to a whistle blower complaint.