VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Possible mis-dx

Rate this question

DEWY

Question

I was diagnosed with Meiner's Syndrome by the VA several years ago. I filed a claim (i.e., secondary to a head wound I received in combat) but was denied because Meiner's Syndrome is defined as an affliction with an unknown etiology (i.e., since the etiology is unknown the claim was denied).

I was sent to an ENT clinic outside the VA for a requested appointment last year. The physician who examed me informed me that, in her opinon, I did not have Meiner's Syndrome and that the symptoms that I am experiencing are caused by something other than Meiner's Syndrome. (i.e., vertigo,dizziness, nausea, etc).

Do I have a case for appeal?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

Maybe, if a doctor can narrow it down to another disability....but you have typical Menieres symptoms.

But do you mean Miner's syndrome or Meniere's Syndrome?

How is your hearing? Any tinnitus?

The 'un known' etiology is VA BS, in my opinion, regarding Meniere's syndrome some causes are here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menieres-disease/basics/causes/con-20028251

Head Trauma is one of them.

Can you scan and post the denial,... the Reasons and Bases part?

And give us the denial date? And the Evidence list they used?

I suggest you print off the article from MAY0 clinic above.

The VA has service connected Meniere's as secondary  to TBI:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp14/files1/1413141.txt

Do you have a copy of the C & P exam?

This claim is potentially ripe for CUE and /or re-open, but we need to see the older denial.

Cover your C file # prior to scanning it.

I did mean Meniere's Disease (i.e., also known as Meniere's Syndrome). I do have the claim denial filed away. I wil locate it and post.

The VA did perform a cognitive test. I was determined not to have a TBI.

They did award 50% for re-occuring headaches in the left side of my head (i.e., wound side).

I have constant tinnitus in left ear (i.e., wound side) in which I was awarded 10%.

The vertigo,dizziness,balance problem(s),etc were all tied to the Meniere's dx. 

Head trauma can mean TBI, and even brain damage. My Army husband had a brain tumor and the surgery itself caused more brain damage, per the surgeon .He died. My USMC husband ,(deceased too)had a stroke that the VA rated as  brain damage (significant per the doctors, when they discovered he also had multiple TIAs,  and he also had dementia.

I guess what I mean is that there could be some way to definitely link the Meniere's to the inservice head wound.

How long ago did the VA rule out TBI?

They messed up plenty of TBI exams some time back and there is a newer criteria for TBI ratings.It is in the TBI forum here.

A head wound scar is ratable by measurements.

If you go to the VA Schedule of Ratings forum here , about half way through that link are the diagnostic codes and ratings for scars as well as for Meniere's etc. and all other disabilities they SC.

You have to figure out what exactly you're going to file for. The wrong DX or Nexus will probably result in a Negative C & P DBQ and a Denial.

The reason you haven't file for IU, is? How about posting redacted copies of your DX's, Denial's and SC's?

Semper Fi

I thought I had updated my case (i.e, possible miss-dx) so this may be a duplicate response:

I received a letter from the VBA which scheduled a C&P for me (..I did not request a c&p or any other type of medical exam so I thought this was strange). 

I did attend the exam. I later received a letter from the VBA awarding me 100%.