VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Appeal Complete...what is next step?

Rate this question

Butcher2510

Question

Earlier this year my grandpa passed away.  For the past few years I have been helping him work through some service connected disabilities with some success.  Well he has had an open appeal for over 2 years.  Being that 80+ year old men aren't that great on the computer, I helped him track and manage his benefits via eBenefits.  As I was helping my mom go through all the forms to fill out for a flag, burial allowance, etc, I thought to check the status of the claim.  Online it says that the claim has been completed, I assume he was denied because there was no rating change.  The date of the appeal completion was the date he passed away.  I just finished helping my mother fill out all the paperwork for his estate to claim whatever money was owed to him from the VA.  Who should i contact?  I am going to call the VA this evening to try to get an answer but it seems that they just wrote him off as soon as they found out he died?

Did (he) or you receive a written BVA decision?  Ebenefits is notoriously unreliable.  You probably want to continue with the appeals depending on what the decision actually stated.  

Does the BVA have your current address?  You wont get the decision unless they do.  

There are 3 seperate things and they dont talk to each other well, especially when its in our benefit for them to do so:

1.  BVA  Board of VEterans Appeals.

2.  VA Regional Office.  They will "implement" the BVA appeal.  

3.  VHA   Veterans health Adminitstration, that is your hospital and VA docs.  

Make sure they ALL have your correct address...just one or two wont suffice.  

Edited by broncovet

Was he in the big Mesothelioma lawsuit?

Was he a Navy vet? ---there was plenty of asbestos in the older ships.

what type of cancer did he have?

What was his MOS?

What was his ship's name? 

I know..... lots of questions.....your mother might be eligible for DIC ( I get 1257.95 a month)

The ships were loud too...the VA must apply Fast Letter 10-35 to his claim, as soon as the spouse becomes the substituted claimant.

"I am going to call the VA this evening to try to get an answer but it seems that they just wrote him off as soon as they found out he died?"

They are hoping no one advises the spouse to continue his claims.The DAv is still telling some survivors that the claim died with the veteran-without telling them the claim can be resurrected with a proper substitution form.The DIC form and accrued claim MUST be filed within the first year after death. If it is filed later than that and awarded, the survivor has lost considerable retro cash in DIC and has no chance to recover accrued amounts after that first year..(except for Nehmer claimants)

Was he in Korea, and if so did he serve near the DMZ??? If so potential AO claim.

Not enough info here ....just a WAG