Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD- due to MST

Rate this question

Markg623

Question

Hi,

i am new to this so please excuse me if I ramble a bit. 

I have applied for disability with the VA in January of 2017. I am applying for PTSD - MST  depression and anxiety secondary to ptsd also hypertension secondary to ptsd. I also have a claim for bilateral knee problems from a misdiagnosed knee problem from boot camp. I am frustrated by the whole process, but I guess I can only blame myself. The knee injury occurred in 1979 and the MST from 1980-82. I never knew I could get help for my knee years ago. I assumed that you had to retire from the service to use the VA. I am seeing a therapist with the VA and a psychiatrist with the VA. My bp has been out of control for years last visit to the va, my pc had to give me 2 nitroglycerin tablets under my tongue to get my bp down. It was 215/120. They have changed my meds so now it is getting closer to normal range. I am afraid they will say my bp is fine and deny that part of the claim. I have had a c&p for my ptsd with an outside contractor and he said he believes I have ptsd. On my healthy vets my doctors notes say ptsd (r o) mdd anxiety depression. Have a c&p tomorrow for my knees. I guess I am just wondering if anyone has any idea when I will hear from them if it is approved and should I get a VSO to look at my case

thank you

Edited by Markg623

Markg623 - I too have a similar claim - just received my award of IU 2016 -  Start Gathering your evidence for the MST - if you have not already started. Names/dates/commands any police reports, photos- Hospital records. It takes time to get these since it was pre-computer days. This will assist in the claims process. If you need any advice in this process I can help. I did my MST claim all by myself ( well with God's Help) 

Good Luck!

Update

just saw on ebenefits I was awarded 80%. Not sure if for just ptsd or a combined with my bilateral knee injuries ( only two that I had c&p for). Still have 3 more c&p's for hypertension, tinnitus and bilateral hearing loss and CPOD. Of course things got sped up when I submitted my eviction notice from my apartment. Also saw that they did not have my wife and kids listed as dependents so I have to submit all that too. I know when I applied I listed them but anything to keep me from getting anymore money. Guess I have to fight them on that. Thank you for this site. It helped me a lot

Glad to hear you got SC for your conditions. Sorry to hear of your issues, but the hard times are worth the new beginnings. I have alot in common with you, and it has been hard for years. No amount of money will ever be worth it, but acknowledgement from the Military and the world goes a long way in life. Good luck to you and keep us posted. God Bless