VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

FIrst C&P exam Mental Health - PTSD

Rate this question

Onemanarmy

Question

Hello Fam,

I am extremely new to claims, so please be nice :). I have searched the message board but still have a few questions on this process.

Yesterday was my first out of three C&P exams. First was mental health, next will be audio, and last will be TBI. I spoke with the assessor for a little over an hour and at the end of the session the assessor stated they are submitting me for 100% PTSD social and occupational and the report should be submitted within 48 hours.  This morning I contacted my C&P evaluation agency and they stated that after the last eval has been completed they will submit to the VA within a few days.  This is all I really know so far.  As I continue my search in what I need to know I have a few questions for you generous souls.

1.  What does 100% social and occupational PTSD mean? Does this have anything to do with TDUI or UI?

2. If I receive claims from the other two exams will this bump me above 100%?  Is this good/bad?

3. After I receive my claim how often do the PTSD re-xams take place?

4. The C&P agency stated that after they submit the VA should have my letter of disability in around a month.  What happens next after I get this letter?  Is this when the compensation starts?

Thank you all for the time you have taken to read this.  Please let me know if you have any questions for me.

-OMA

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• Founder

What does 100% social and occupational PTSD mean?

100% social and occupational PTSD probably refers to 38CFR4.130 Schedule for rating disabilities. The schedule lays out a general ratings formula see below.

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships.

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events).

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication.

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication.

Does this have anything to do with TDUI or UI?

If you get 100% for PTSD alone then TDIU/IU (they are the same thing) would be moot.

If I receive claims from the other two exams will this bump me above 100%?  Is this good/bad?

It could bump you up to a special monthly compensation level which are assigned by letter. For example if you were housebound you would be paid at the S level.  There are reasons to keep pursuing your claim after you reach 100% check out the article below

6 Reasons to Keep Pursuing VA Claims and Appeals – AFTER you reach 100%

SEPTEMBER 21, 2015 BY CHRIS ATTIG

Today, I want to talk to you about a question that a lot of Veterans ask me: If I get a 100% rating, should I continue fighting the VA for benefits? Let’s jump right into the answer. Many Veterans perceive the 100% rating as the end of the … [Read more...]

As far as is it good or bad there are few schools of thought on that and I'll let them jump in.

After I receive my claim how often do the PTSD re-exams take place?

I think 5 years but I am not positive on that and like all things VA it's subject to change.

The C&P agency stated that after they submit the VA should have my letter of disability in around a month.  What happens next after I get this letter?  Is this when the compensation starts?

Perhaps they mean a letter letting you know the decision a month seems pretty short but I hope they are right. The compensation will start probably the next month after you receive the letter and you will receive retroactive pay from the date the claim was filed. Unless they deny the claim in which case you will have to appeal.

13 hours ago, Tbird said:

What does 100% social and occupational PTSD mean?

100% social and occupational PTSD probably refers to 38CFR4.130 Schedule for rating disabilities. The schedule lays out a general ratings formula see below.

Total occupational and social impairment, due to such symptoms as: gross impairment in thought processes or communication; persistent delusions or hallucinations; grossly inappropriate behavior; persistent danger of hurting self or others; intermittent inability to perform activities of daily living (including maintenance of minimal personal hygiene); disorientation to time or place; memory loss for names of close relatives, own occupation, or own name.

Occupational and social impairment, with deficiencies in most areas, such as work, school, family relations, judgment, thinking, or mood, due to such symptoms as: suicidal ideation; obsessional rituals which interfere with routine activities; speech intermittently illogical, obscure, or irrelevant; near-continuous panic or depression affecting the ability to function independently, appropriately and effectively; impaired impulse control (such as unprovoked irritability with periods of violence); spatial disorientation; neglect of personal appearance and hygiene; difficulty in adapting to stressful circumstances (including work or a worklike setting); inability to establish and maintain effective relationships.

Occupational and social impairment with reduced reliability and productivity due to such symptoms as: flattened affect; circumstantial, circumlocutory, or stereotyped speech; panic attacks more than once a week; difficulty in understanding complex commands; impairment of short- and long-term memory (e.g., retention of only highly learned material, forgetting to complete tasks); impaired judgment; impaired abstract thinking; disturbances of motivation and mood; difficulty in establishing and maintaining effective work and social relationships.

Occupational and social impairment with occasional decrease in work efficiency and intermittent periods of inability to perform occupational tasks (although generally functioning satisfactorily, with routine behavior, self-care, and conversation normal), due to such symptoms as: depressed mood, anxiety, suspiciousness, panic attacks (weekly or less often), chronic sleep impairment, mild memory loss (such as forgetting names, directions, recent events).

Occupational and social impairment due to mild or transient symptoms which decrease work efficiency and ability to perform occupational tasks only during periods of significant stress, or symptoms controlled by continuous medication.

A mental condition has been formally diagnosed, but symptoms are not severe enough either to interfere with occupational and social functioning or to require continuous medication.

Does this have anything to do with TDUI or UI?

If you get 100% for PTSD alone then TDIU/IU (they are the same thing) would be moot.

If I receive claims from the other two exams will this bump me above 100%?  Is this good/bad?

It could bump you up to a special monthly compensation level which are assigned by letter. For example if you were housebound you would be paid at the S level.  There are reasons to keep pursuing your claim after you reach 100% check out the article below

6 Reasons to Keep Pursuing VA Claims and Appeals – AFTER you reach 100%

SEPTEMBER 21, 2015 BY CHRIS ATTIG

Today, I want to talk to you about a question that a lot of Veterans ask me: If I get a 100% rating, should I continue fighting the VA for benefits? Let’s jump right into the answer. Many Veterans perceive the 100% rating as the end of the … [Read more...]

As far as is it good or bad there are few schools of thought on that and I'll let them jump in.

After I receive my claim how often do the PTSD re-exams take place?

I think 5 years but I am not positive on that and like all things VA it's subject to change.

The C&P agency stated that after they submit the VA should have my letter of disability in around a month.  What happens next after I get this letter?  Is this when the compensation starts?

Perhaps they mean a letter letting you know the decision a month seems pretty short but I hope they are right. The compensation will start probably the next month after you receive the letter and you will receive retroactive pay from the date the claim was filed. Unless they deny the claim in which case you will have to appeal.