Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

do I have to worry?

Rate this question

tylerb333

Question

I am service connected 20 percent for lumbosacral strain for my back.  I have good days and I have really bad days.  Do I have to worry about some investigator coming to my house seeing me cutting the lawn-on one of my good day- screaming fraudulent claim!?

6 answers to this question

No.  

Your 20% does not mean you can not work, if it did, you would be 100% or IU. The real meaning of 20% is Flexion measures more than 30° but not more than 60°-OR- Combined ROM is 120° or less. You could also get 20% for bed rest, but the medical profession does not do that any more, they say its better to stay active with a bad back.

3 hours ago, tylerb333 said:

I am service connected 20 percent for lumbosacral strain for my back.  I have good days and I have really bad days.  Do I have to worry about some investigator coming to my house seeing me cutting the lawn-on one of my good day- screaming fraudulent claim!?

Ah, no...

VA compensation is for a disability from your service.  You had a C&P exam and the VA determined that you had limited movement of your back related to your service.  For that, you get compensated.  That's it.  There is not going to be a guy in the bushes watching you with binoculars and a portable goniometer measuring how far you are bending down.

If your only disability was your back at 20%, you would not be able to apply for VA IU.  The VA expects you to work, or they would compensate you for it.

I am 80%, at least half for ROM of joints.  I still work.

That is why there is a big jump from 90% to 100% (also IU).  Keep in mind Veterans at 100% scheduler can and do still work.  100% scheduler mental health may have limitations, also.

Hamslice

Now if you lied during your exam and they found out, well then you may be in some trouble.  Just sayin..

Yes.  Pick a time to worry about everything, probably between 8am and 9am on Saturday mornings.    Include worrying about your finances, your future, heck, worry about your pet if you like..but only worry during that one hour period.    By doing your worrying all during this period, it will free up the other 167 hours per week to do stuff more productive than worrying.   And EVERYTHING is more productive than worrying, well just about, at least.    If you forget to worry one week, then try to cram 2 weeks worth of worrying next weeks "worry hour".    Make a list if you have to remember everything to worry about.  

You need to make an "excuse list" for worrying during that hour, such as:

1.  Well, I have to worry..my parents did.

2.  I wouldn't be a good parent if I did not worry.   (Not true, of course.  You can teach your kids not to worry and have faith in God,  instead, too.)  

3.  What am I gonna do if I dont worry?  Here are a few things you can do to occupy your time instead of worrying:

a.  Call a friend you forgot to call.

b.  Call an enemy and give/ask forgiveness, making amends. 

c.  Go fishing.  

d.  Entertain your grand kids..make em something..

e.  Tell a joke.  

f.  Watch an uplifting movie.

g.  Pray.  

h.  Be thankful.

i.  Answer another Vets questions and help him. 

j.  Help someone else.  

k.  Love deeper..do something nice for your spouse..something she would like.l, 

n.  Read a good book.

o.  Figure out how to make yourself better in some small way.  

p.  Exercise

q.  If your parents are alive, figure out something to do to honor them.  

r.   If you cant think of any way to honor your parents, then appreciate them.  

u.  Clean your house or garage.

v.  Make your yard look nice.

w.  Visit the library

x  Visit the zoo.

y.  Spend time with your pet.  

z.  If I forgot anything, build a better list and then do it.   

no, no lies.  I've actually had back surgery as a result of that service connected injury, and the VA had the gull to call it a muscle strain...wth?  Admittedly I probably worry too much, PTSD, anxiety, OCD.  I guess I'm always looking around the corner for the boogeyman.