Jump to content
Common VA Disabilities


questions-348x180.jpeg

14 Questions about Veterans Disability Compensation Benefits Claims 

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about when it comes to filing VA Disability Claims.









Popular Forums Common VA Disabilities



  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Lastingeffects

Pes Planus at MEPS

Question

Question. It was noted in my medical records from MEPS that I had asymptomatic pes planus. At the time I had no idea what that was. In basic I suffered from shin splint and bilateral shin fractures and was sent home on convalescent leave for 6 weeks also pulled  thigh muscle during that time. This happened in 1989. My legs have bothered me ever since but I have never been to the doctor about it. Managed to serve twelve years regardless. Now I have arthritis in both knees and my right hip is giving me problems. My wife, a nurse happens to think it was caused by my flat feet. Would this be worth pursuing? Could it be possible to get the flat feet service connected even tho it was noted as preexisting? Anyone have something similar happen? Thanks for your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

The VA will service connect any aggravation of a pre -existing condition. 

This link from a lawyer basically describes this type of claim:

https://www.hillandponton.com/va-disability-benefits-pre-existing/

Your wife is certainly correct.Pes Planus and shin splints can cause ,in time, many other affects to hips, knees and back.

By aggravation the VA means the pre existing condition was made worse by service-which seems to be the case here-and they rate the affects of the worsening of the condition.

Do you have pronation or supination? And if so ,do you see a podiatrist for custom made orthotics?

Do you wear braces?

The VA will need medical evidence that directly shows the inservice problems were due to the pre existing condition ( I assume it was flat feet?) and also strong medical evidence that you also have residual disabilities from the proof of the affects of the of the Pes Planus.

Your wife could make a support statement on a 21-4138 form as a nurse, but this will take a strong independent medical opinion (IMO forum)

...in my opinion ...I have pes planus myself.

Has any doctor treating the present hip-knee conditions suggested this was due to your flat feet in service?

Your SMRs  will be needed...and your discharge certificate...because the VA will try to find evidence that, after the surgery, you had no inservice problems...therefore no aggravation to the pre existing disability.

Do you have a copy of your SMRs?

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 6/17/2017 at 9:08 PM, Lastingeffects said:

 In basic I suffered from shin splint and bilateral shin fractures and was sent home on convalescent leave for 6 weeks also pulled  thigh muscle during that time. This happened in 1989. My legs have bothered me ever since but I have never been to the doctor about it. Managed to serve twelve years regardless. Now I have arthritis in both knees and my right hip is giving me problems.

My wife, a nurse happens to think it was caused by my flat feet. Would this be worth pursuing? Could it be possible to get the flat feet service connected even tho it was noted as preexisting?

You have:

1. 'in-service event' (shin splint and bilat shin Fx)

2. Nexus ("My legs have bothered me ever since ...")

3. Current condition (Legs being bothered)

Why would you complicate by going a round about connection?

Do an 'ITF' today.

Go to you local VA and get a diagnosis for your leg problems. Bring in your STRs from '89 so the physician documents the in-service event. Not to be master of the obvious, but tell the clinician your legs issues started with the in-service event and have hurt ever since (because of it).

File.

That's the low hanging fruit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, MikeHunt said:

You have:

1. 'in-service event' (shin splint and bilat shin Fx)

2. Nexus ("My legs have bothered me ever since ...")

3. Current condition (Legs being bothered)

Why would you complicate by going a round about connection?

Do an 'ITF' today.

Go to you local VA and get a diagnosis for your leg problems. Bring in your STRs from '89 so the physician documents the in-service event. Not to be master of the obvious, but tell the clinician your legs issues started with the in-service event and have hurt ever since (because of it).

File.

That's the low hanging fruit.

Mike thanks for the reply. This is all very new to me. I honestly had no idea I could file for any of this until a few weeks ago. 

As I said before I have not seen a doctor about my legs since 89. Is it possible to see a va doctor without being in the system?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 6/19/2017 at 6:01 AM, Berta said:

The VA will service connect any aggravation of a pre -existing condition. 

This link from a lawyer basically describes this type of claim:

https://www.hillandponton.com/va-disability-benefits-pre-existing/

Your wife is certainly correct.Pes Planus and shin splints can cause ,in time, many other affects to hips, knees and back.

By aggravation the VA means the pre existing condition was made worse by service-which seems to be the case here-and they rate the affects of the worsening of the condition.

Do you have pronation or supination? And if so ,do you see a podiatrist for custom made orthotics?

Do you wear braces?

The VA will need medical evidence that directly shows the inservice problems were due to the pre existing condition ( I assume it was flat feet?) and also strong medical evidence that you also have residual disabilities from the proof of the affects of the of the Pes Planus.

Your wife could make a support statement on a 21-4138 form as a nurse, but this will take a strong independent medical opinion (IMO forum)

...in my opinion ...I have pes planus myself.

Has any doctor treating the present hip-knee conditions suggested this was due to your flat feet in service?

Your SMRs  will be needed...and your discharge certificate...because the VA will try to find evidence that, after the surgery, you had no inservice problems...therefore no aggravation to the pre existing disability.

Do you have a copy of your SMRs?

 

 

 

 

Yes I have copies of my SMR's. Like I said it is something I have just put up with through the years. Until the last few months I have never been to the doctor about this. I have a diagnosis of arthritis with crepitus (sp?) in both knees and arthritis in the right hip. My lower legs and ankles have hurt since 1989. It feels to me like perpetual shin splints or maybe it never healed properly. My doctor told me this could absolutely be related to my military service. I am pursuing this but was just curious how the VA will look at it with no other doctors visits since 89.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 6/20/2017 at 11:02 AM, Lastingeffects said:

This is all very new to me. I honestly had no idea I could file for any of this until a few weeks ago.

14 hours ago, Lastingeffects said:

 Like I said it is something I have just put up with through the years. Until the last few months I have never been to the doctor about this. I have a diagnosis of arthritis with crepitus (sp?) in both knees and arthritis in the right hip. My lower legs and ankles have hurt since 1989.

...

My doctor told me this could absolutely be related to my military service. I am pursuing this but was just curious how the VA will look at it with no other doctors visits since 89.

LoL-  Sorry! No matter how long you been on here or even worked for the VA it seems everything's still new!

Crepitus- Serious; 'Bone on bone'

You have 'current diagnosis.' It also sounds like you have a 'Nexus' or connection.

See if your clinician will fill out a DBQ. See if their notes say what s/he told you about the connection. You'll need them to write out a medical opinion to go with that, you can lift the verbiage from the hearing loss/tinnitus DBQ.

Then no need for a 'C&P exam', you'd be filing a 'Decision Ready Claim'!

Did you file an Intent to file???

 

 

Edited by MikeHunt
spelled connection correctly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×