VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The VA requires that we have Pseudo social security numbers in order to receive medical benefits and to be covered under CHAMPVA and to add us as dependents.

Rate this question

Vet Dog and wife

Question

Hi,

I was recently married, My husband is a 100 percent disabled veteran. I also have a 9-year-old son who lives with us. My son and I are both European citizens. My husband said that my stepson and I both qualify for medical benefits through the veteran’s administration under CHAMPVA. He also wants to add us as family members for purposes of VA compensation.

The VA requires that we have Pseudo-social security numbers in order to receive medical benefits and to be covered under CHAMPVA and to add us as dependents.

Also, we were recently in a major car accident and I need to see a doctor due to injuries.

We are living in overseas now and the American Embassy has not heard of this type of situation.

Thanks for any help,

Edited by Vet Dog and wife

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

@Anna & Matthew- with one quick search-  it appears you may need to seek the advice of an Immigration attorney, the Embassy is a powerful entity & if they are clueless you will need some assistance. 

There is a term "pseudo" social security number - in relation to benefits/ applications.  via google searches

Here is a link for Veteran's living abroad -http://www.benefits.va.gov/persona/veteran-abroad.asp

I have no expertise in this area, so hope this can be a starting point. I imagine getting the pseudo ssn is a lengthy process due to homeland security. jmo

I  gave you some links here in the past under 2 different topics:

https://community.hadit.com/topic/70030-va-requires-foreign-spouse-living-abroad-to-apply-for-a-pseudo-ssns-at-social-security/

And the link L gave you should help too.

The most important link I gave you was for the FMP at the VA.

Mike Hunt gave you a great link as well.

Have you or your husband tried any of the links we gave in the past?

The CHAMPVA link  I posted could answer the question I cant answer.

I dont know if you are eligible for CHAMPVA. They are very good, by phone, and I am sure their phone number is in the link.

Have you contacted Kathleen Doherty directly ?

She is our US  Ambassador to Cyprus.

Also you ( I think your husband should do this ) can contact the State Department 

https://register.state.gov/contactus/

I am surprised that the FMP has not helped you (If you did contact them)

But I think it would be best if the veteran himself did this.

• HadIt.com Elder

Just curious

Can a veteran use a USP Address?  that is not a Post Office Box.

One more question to Anna.....

After your husband's first wife died, was someone, other than you ,appointed as the Fiduciary?

If so have you been formally declared a dependent ,regarding his VA compensation? The fiduciary would know.

How is VA handling his medical care via the Foreign Medical program?

Although he is 100% P & T and has been for a long time, since the VA suggested a nursing home to him at some point ( per one of your past posts here) then perhaps someone at FMP who helps him with his medical care could help you with your question.