Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can a diagnose of Arthritics be S.C. From old injury

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have a question about my self. its about an old injury I recieved while in Vietnam

I Was on the bumper of a Duse & Half 2 1/2 Military Truck...checking the fluids in the radiator and it was pressured up  (I didn't know) as I released the cap pressure  it blew off and I fell off the bumper and hit on my knees.  (bruised bad in both knees) Never reported it  eh!!!

Years later I developed Arthritis in both knees.

ok this has been 47/48 years ago   VA Diagnose me with DJD Arthritics years ago in both knees (around 2002) although none of this was documented while in Vietnam  I didn't see a Medic for it  so no medical records.

I ask a VA Dr if my DJD Could be caused from this old Vietnam Injury? he said yes its possible.

Do I need a VA Dr to state in his opinion that my injury to my knees that I said occurred while in the RVN is likey as not cause or related to my DJD in both my knees?

All I have as evidence is my unit and location & detail lay statement of what happen this happen but have records from my unit I was in ...not so sure about the date it happen? no records of this event what so ever,  so it will be just based off my lay statement.

My knees are getting worse.

I know my chances are very low getting this S.C....

Just curious as to what some of you think?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

Hiya Buck,
It may be possible to SC it, but I think it would require a nexus from a doc. Of course, it might be a good idea to comb through all of your service records to see if you had and additional injuries or factors. Even buddy letters from friends, family, or fellow soldiers may help to a degree. It never hurts to overwhelm them with evidence that is in your favor. I hope this helps!

• HadIt.com Elder

Thanks Vync

I probably won't file a claim for this  just putting it out there get opinions, I know without medical evidence from military claim  will be denied.

We just never reported things like this  we just sucked it up and went on and now I'm paying the fiddler.

Not sure if Knee replacement would help or not? Dr's say yes..  I may have a decision to make soon  with VA or Medicare.

The nexus AND the "in service event" are both problems.  If you can document the "in service event", then you have a chance at getting a nexus.  If you did not seek treatment for the knees, and your exit physical did not state you had knee issues, I would say your chances are low.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Yeah that's what I was thinking too bronco, I have no way to nexus this.

I think this medical clearance at military separation/exit is a bunch of BS , simply b/c we had to be in good health to join the military ..ok but what about after we get out and medically cleared but most veterans get disability's  HAPPEN OR COME UP years years later.

and if the veteran never reported an injury and don't have documentation to prove it   Well there's just some things we never did Report while in the military.

Had I known falling off that truck when I was 19 years old Injuring my knees to cause me to get R-Arthritis in both my knees years and years later Hell yes I would have reported it.

I hope the new young men in the military today will report and get everything medically documented...as we old veterans failed to do that years ago.

Well at least the VA may help me with medical but now that I got Medicare...I have choices.