Jump to content
  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  •  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

  • 0
Sign in to follow this  

Dependency claim, owe money back after divorce.


Hello out there,

I just had my dependency claim  closed. I divorced in March and it took the VA this long to work the claim. I figure I owe them about $800. Will the full amount  be taken out of my next DD, or if not, how does that work?

Thanks for anyone who has info. on  this.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

Been there, done that.  They sent me a letter telling me I owed them $, except it took VARO 1.5 years to change mine.  Here is what I did.  

You will likely get a letter that you owe them money (but, maybe not, since they may not even worry about a few months.) If you do, you can apply for a waiver.  I "won" the waiver because:

1.  I explained I reported it promptly and the backlog is not my fault  

2.  It would create a hardship to have to pay the money back.  

I sent this to the debt management center, and the address should be on your letter, IF you ever get a letter.  

Bottom line, dont worry about it.  They may not take the money at all.  Its VA's fault they take so long to process this stuff, not ours.  Ask for a waiver of the debt.  Be honest, but explain how paying this back will be a hardship.  

More information is here:



Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • 0

Thanks Broncovet,

Good advice, I filed the dependency claim [on ebenefits] the day after the divorce was final. I even called to ask they start reducing my DD immediately and I was told "you have to wait in line like everyone else" and to just put that money aside. Easier said than done when you are living month to month and slowly going further into debt anyway.

In another post I said how my lawyer told me my TDIU had been approved, however, the RO is talking it's time finalizing the claim. I would have thought they would do both claims together as 20 months of retro payments will have to be figured in and I was still married for 16 of those. 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

There's  nat'l non-rating teams that have no idea how to process claims, so dependency is done separately. VSRs HATE dependency.

Bronco is 100% correct, Debt Management Center (1 Federal Dr St Paul MN) is the VA (NOT VBA) office that does VBA debts. It's mainly in the same building as Kim Grave's RO, but, again, separate.

There's two basic basis's for waiver; Hardship and not substantially Veteran's fault. There's multiple reasons to deny a waiver, however.

The one you're interested in is not substantially Veteran's fault. They will ask you fill out a VA Form 5655, 'Financial Status Report' or FSR. Since you're not applying for hardship, explain you want them to process the waiver without the FSR.

Timeline IS important here; you must file within 30 days of receipt of DMC's '101' letter to stop collection.

interestingly, the waiver then goes to your SOJ (Station of jurisdiction) for decision, then back to DMC for promulgation. It's the RO's logistics office that has the Committee of Waivers and Compromise (COW or COWC).

You can then send DMC an NOD if they deny the waiver.

Who sends it to the RO ...

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks MikeHunt,

Sounds like good info. I will see what the letter says but I don't know if I qualify if the VA is about to pay me  retro. And I don't know if I should throw a monkey wrench into that process right now. But like you said, dependency is a different department.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • Disability Calculator: Veterans Compensation Rate Calculator
      Disability Calculator: Veterans Compensation Rate Calculator

      10 + 50 = 50 and other VA math mysteries explained.

      VA Math It’s Not Your Mother’s Arithmetic “VA Math” is the way that the VA computes combined impairment ratings for multiple conditions in a Veteran’s compensation benefits claim – and it requires that you unlearn real math. When a Veteran has multiple medical conditions that are service connected, and the Veterans Affairs rates each at a different percentage, it would seem that they should just add up your percentages to get to a total body impairment rating. Continue Reading

      Use our Ratings Calculator to add your percentages
      • 0 replies
    • I filed for my mitral valve regurgitation heart disease secondary to a service-connected condition on 7-30-18. It was granted on 8-30-18. Since I filed for this heart valve issue and was awarded, can I still file for hypertension ? I have been seeing comments that you should file for hypertension first and file for heart disease as a secondary. Can I file for hypertension as a secondary to my heart disease ? I am alittle confused on this matter.

    • How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      • 5 replies
    • For Calculating Retro

      VA Disability Compensation Rates 2012 | 2011 | 2010-2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999

      Prior to 1999 check here https://www.hadit.com/va-disability-compensation-rates-historic-for-retro-calculation/
      • 0 replies
    • I am a 100% disabled veteran, At first I was super excited to find out I am getting retro pay for back benefits to 2006. But that was over 2 months ago. I been waiting and waiting and calling to ask them wheres my back pay. They first told me "one month" than I call again. The guy started reading a script of basically "we are malingering on paying you" type crap. I was wondering if there is any number I can call besides that 800-827-1000 number to inquire about my status. I don't know why its taken so long when there is specific information telling them from the judge that VA owes. 

      There was a remanded to see if I was eligible for IU (I get it now since 2014 im actually 90% with 10 of that been IU). I been on SS since 2004. Can Someone help me out? Thank you
      • 6 replies

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines