Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SC conditions worsening...best way to put in for possible increase. Thanks.

Rate this question

Holllie Greene

Question

Hi All,

Long time since I have been on the board.  Hello to old friends.

I was discharged from military in 87 with asthma which has worsened considerably.  The VA sends cough medicine (Robitussin) and inhalers.  My civilian doctor gives the same.  The MS sent me to the local ER a few months ago as I could not walk due to MS spasms.  I called the Palo Alto VA within that 72 hour period to inform them.  I still have intention tremor in my left arm, hand and legs.  I also use a walker which is very helpful.

My husband who is in his late fifties quit his job to care for me...he is not eligible for ss so we count our pennies so to speak.  Any advice is appreciated.

Hey Texas---hang tough.

• Answers 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

First off, know the condition, symptoms and how the condition is rated by the VA.

This link will help you do that. Bookmark it ok.

The condition symptoms should be in your medical records. Compare the percentage of what you were already awarded with the symptoms that you have, and if they show that you would qualify for the higher rating, file on EBenefits for the increase. 

Second time up, you dont have to prove as much because it is already service connected. You need to provide the records where the symptoms are noted by a medical professional.  Write a statement detailing your symptoms, when the MD noted them (date and time) and highlight them in the records that you provide. You will probably still have to get a C&P exam, dont miss the appointment. 

Remember, if the condition more closely resembles the higher rating, but does not contain ALL of the symptoms (3 out of 4), you should be awarded the higher rating.

• HadIt.com Elder

I would get an IMO/IME unless your VA doctor supports your quest for an increase 100%.  You need a medical report saying that your SC condition has gotten worse and by how much.  The report needs to be definitive with no qualifications or speculation.

Thats the good part about having an MD document the increase in symptoms John999. An IMO is an opinion letter, so when you have the MD note the condition in a medical file, it is just as good as an IMO, if not better. It is a felony for any medical professional to enter false information into a medical record.

John999,

Thank you for the advice...I saw my civilian GP a few weeks ago and she was shocked at the sounds coming from my lungs, especialy the wheezing.  The local VA has me scheduled at the clinic in a few weeks to meet my third or fourth primary care doctor.  I am hoping for the best.  Thanks again.

HG