Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Denied flat feet

Rate this question

chilo209

Question

Trying to see how to go about this and to appeal this. Currently the way it goes, was that  i had mild flat arches coming into service while serving in the marine corps from 01 to 05. Was out for about 1 year and went into the army from 07 to 13. Wasn't much of person to go to sick call and paying the price for everything now.

So on my exit exam and questionnaire, i brought up that i was having issue with pain running and shine pain. The Dr. on the exit exam put that i have normal arches but that i have bi lateral foot pain exacerbated by running. This also included knee pain also. During my first C&P exam in 2014, they did a tests to confirm that i did have mild pes
planus. I files and they denied due to not caused by services, although i was trying for aggravated.

• Service connection for pes planus (claimed as flat feet) is denied since this condition neither
occurred in nor was caused by service.
• Your service treatment records show that on entrance examination in 2000, you had
moderate asymptomatic pes planus. No other mention of pes planus was found in service
treatment records. On separation examination dated December 17, 2012 you had normal
arch. Examiner states there is currently insufficient evidence to suggest the bilateral current
pes planus condition incurred or caused by foot pain noted during service. Although
bilateral foot pain was noted on your exit examination here is no mention or diagnosis of
pes planus while in service.

** should i go about getting a different nexus letter stating that this was aggravated .

Here is what my nexus letter said

He born with flat feet. During his military service he carried loads weighing S50-70 pounds while marching 5-15 miles on
a regular basis.In addition be participated in numerous parachute jumps.

He reports that since the military. his feet have been hurting more, necessitating him to wear
inserts all the time.Therefore, his foot symptoms are as likely, as not related t0 his activities
during his military service.

Thank you

70% PTSD

10% Tinnitus

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

I have the opposite of flat feet......Pes Cavus which means my arches are too high.  The VA says it is a congenital deformity.  Yes, but my feet and arches hurt so bad I cannot stand for more that a few minutes.  I already have 10% on each foot for PN due to DMII.    The fix for Pes Cavus is more horrible than the constant pain when walking.  Orthotics don't work.  I always wondered why when we had forced marches in basic I would walk slower and slower even though I was not tired.   My feet just gave out and would actually start to curl in a spasm and then I walked like someone walking on a very wet floor.  I went to the Medic and he called me a liar.  So much for military medical.  When my ankles started to swell the doctors and medics also called me a liar.  Hey I was headed for Vietnam and that bus would not stop except for POTUS. Plus I could not see the Big "E" on the eyechart and was color blind."  No problem, boy, you is going to Vietnam so get yo' bus ticket at the station and yo' plane ride out of Ft. Lewis  in January 1970."  During selective service call-up the government boys did not care if you had flat feet, bad heart,  high blood as long as you had all four limbs and did not have a tumor growing out of your rectum. 

John

Based upon your post, this sounds like a nexus statement to me.   You need the "other 2 legs" of the Caluza triangle for service connection, and I dont know if you have those or not. 

The Caluze elements (aka Caluza triangle) are as follows:

1.  Current diagnosis

2.  In service event or aggravation

3.  Nexus or link between your current conditions and service. 

Once service connected, your rating will be based on symptoms.   If its asymptomatic, then your rating will likely be zero percent.  Generally, service connection ratings are a percentage based upon how much the average persons work would be affected.  

It sounds like you need to appeal.  Get a copy of your cfile and see if the caluza elements are documented.  (That is, you need a current diagnosis and an in service event or aggravation.)   It sounds like at least an aggravation may be documented.

I been talking to my VSO, but she report this claim as a reconsideration when she filed. Not sure why. I reached out to VSO today so waiting on reply, but at time i feel like a pain in the butt to them or even to reach out for compensation.

70% PTSD

10% Tinnitus