Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Cue for anemia, right???

Rate this question

SergeantQ

Question

Heyyyyy my fellow veterans.... after getting my rating for Anemia for 10 percent the other day, crying, falling apart and asking GOD WHY ME, I pulled myself together this morning, crawled over to the paperwork and reviewed it again.

Thank god I did because they rated me wrong.

The code for my anemia is ‘Anemia’ 7700. The code they rated me under is ‘Aplastic’ Anemia 7716 which again I don’t possess those symptoms at all. It speaks of infections, transfusions and everything! My anemia is for blood loss where my HGB levels are low 7. 

So this is a QUE, right? 

https://www.benefits.va.gov/WARMS/docs/regs/38cfr/bookc/part4/s4_117.doc

897AA13F-A7E7-4989-8A29-0A22A44FAD8E.png

A50673C8-7167-4090-BBF1-4EA7B8A0741A.png

49 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

SeragentQ

I read some place that the DC CODE 7716 is generally rated higher than the DC CODE 7700

38 CFR 38 4.117

But you mention your symptoms don't correspond with the DC CODE 7716 And they went back to the 7700 code? if you were rated 10% that's way to low of a rated..you should have got a much higher rating that what you got   although I realize this was CUE so if your happy with the rating  then that's ok 

Yes 7716 general does warrant a higher rating but like you said, it does not align with my symptoms. Which is why originally they only rated me 10% under 7716.

I was so mad when I saw that. That's why I had to do the research and find out the rating was so low because under the 7700 (which is the one they should've been using) I should have gotten a 70% rating. 

So, I think I did get 70% for anemia under the 7700 code but I won't know until I get the letter. Right now, ebenefits is showing 80% on the letter but no break down.

• HadIt.com Elder

yes you must have got the 70% and they kept the 10%  added in that's 80%

congratulation on this error a good win buddy.

7 minutes ago, Buck52 said:

yes you must have got the 70% and they kept the 10%  added in that's 80%

congratulation on this error a good win buddy.

Not sure because I already had 10% for fibroids. I'll let you know when I get the letter. But I hope everything works out with you as well. Let me know. I need closure. lol

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes it don't matter what the pre disability condition @ 10% was for, if you were giving 70% increase on the Anmina that should be a seperate rating  then you should have a 80% Over All  rating bump....Unless you have other S.C. Conditions that are S.C. & Rated?

then your rating may change to IU or the scheduler 100%  if you can't work?  because of these disabilities that you currently have?

you may want to file for the IU and check out the SSDI

Social Security Disability Income Also.

We can't rely on the raters to make a correct decision.

so look at your award letter closely..comb it with a fine tooth comb because you may be entitled to more benefits

Update on my "Cue for anemia, right???" post.

Quick Recap -

• I was rated 10% for Anemia. 
  • I received the decision letter and identified that they rated me using the incorrect diagnosis code.
  • I went back to my VSO to fix it. He agreed. (No NOD, CUE or Reconsideration needed, he just sent my request to fix it back to his "Change management agent."
  • As I waited to hear back from the change management agent/VSO, I was sent to a comp and pen for depression.
  • About two weeks after comp and pen for depression - ebenefits changed. boom! Combined rating of 80%.
  • So I thought they fixed the anemia rating, and probably added in the depression.
  • Turns out they only rated the depression.
  • They never even addressed the anemia and/or the error on the diagnosis code.
  • Again, no changes to my anemia - it still shows in ebenefits as 10%.
  • Sooooo, bottom line, I got 10% fibroids, 10% for anemia, and 70% for depression - combined rating of 80%.  
  • The 70% for depression was a blessing and they gave me the same effective date Oct 2017 which is the effective date that my anemia claim would have been.

So, basically, in this new decision letter - anemia is not addressed at all. My VSO said there is nothing pending for me, my case is closed. 

My questions/concerns: 

1. Should I just let it go about the anemia? Recall the whole reason I went back to my VSO is because they rated me wrong and gave me the wrong effective date. I will miss out on back pay for anemia from Oct 2017 if I stay silent.
  2. It was a blessing that I received the depression rating of 70% that I never applied for. Again, my VSO called and sent me in for com and pen exam out the blue. Turns out the evidence was in my file. Should I just shut up and sit down?

Grab your VA Calculator:

1. Effective date Oct 2017 - 70% single rate ($1365). I did the math and this is $9555, correct?
  2. However, I received $6500 in retro.
  3. What's wrong with these numbers and should I go back to my VSO or let it go?

See attached decision letter.

Decision.pdf