VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hardship Case

Rate this question

kevintischer

Question

I have been homeless living in a Hostel without any support form anyone else and only having my disability income from VA, I also have thousands in unpaid medical bills and rent in collections because of my disability. My attorney has submitted a hardship expedite for my appeal to the Seattle VARO. Does it look like I even qualify? I thought you had to be almost dead to even get expedited? Thanks for the input. I don't want to get my hopes up that this could help. 

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Take the attorney advice but he is correct. Good luck brother.

Also there are some places  that  where you can get help now 

it maybe a link for it in the forum for this help.

• Locate a Community-Based Organization.
  • Call the National Call Center for Homeless Veterans at 1-877-4AID-VET (1-877-424-3838)
  • Talk to a mental health clinician online, 24/7.
  • Reach the Veterans Crisis Line (suicide prevention) at 1-800-273-TALK (Veterans press "1")
Edited by porgee

Other than terminally ill Vets, who deserves a expidited claim more than a homeless Vet?  

I told VA I was about to become homeless in 2004, and it did no good and I lost my home in 2005.  

However, it still worked out great for me, eventually.  

Hey Kevin, I have gone through this process and to be honest It started at a C&P exam when my examiner found out I was living in a storage unit, I was immediately sent to a counselor that had a roof over my head and my service pup within hours (a shelter). I was also sent to a DAV rep that filed for my hardship and also added information from my examiner to expedite the process. I hope you get things figured out, stay strong and hang in there

Fighting with the VA has been more emotionally hard and trying than any of my 3 combat tours to OEF or OIF. IT's absolutely ridiculous how hard we have to fight to get the much deserved and earned benefits. My SSDI case has been going faster and smoother than the VA and those benefits aren't earned or deserved.

Agree.  Berta says, and I agree, that if you dont have PTSD, you will (dealing with VA) by the time you get your benefits.  Like yourself, I lost my home in 2005 while waiting on VA to "process" my benefits.  To the best of my knowledge, "0" VA employees are homeless, and they get their checks in 2 weeks.  I have often said this should be reversed..the VA employees should get paid in 4 years..after all the Vets are paid, rather than the oother way around like it is now.