Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

V.A. did not locate their own records - CUE

Rate this question

WomanMarine

Question

Okay, now that I have been at this for over a year, I am now starting to understand the V.A. :blink:

I was medically discharged in 1975 with a recurrent dislocating patella with a DoD rating of 10%.  I started having problems, as noted in my SRT, in my 10th week of boot. It was not till a year later, when bowling @ Leatherneck Lanes, that my patella completely dislocated, tearing ligaments and my meniscus.I was seen the next day in Ortho, with a 'grossly sublexed patella' and subsequently discharged for this condition.

Two months later I landed a job with Southern Pacific Railroad. About a month into the job, again, my knee went out on me causing me to 'crash and burn' at work. I was seen that evening at the V.A. and referred to Ortho, who placed me in a full leg cast for six months. Because of this I lost my job at the railroad :sad:

I then applied for Vocational Rehabilitation and put on the form that I was 10% disabled. I did not realize that it was a DoD rating v. a V.A. rating. I was subsequently denied, but it was never explained to me the difference of DoD v. V.A. Again in 1980 my patella went out on me, again tearing my meniscus and ligaments. I went to the V.A. and was X-rayed, which showed torn ligaments. I then applied for V.A. disability. I was denied, but did not know this till recently and why, as I was homeless and did not receive the notification.

According to the V.A. they submitted form VAF 21-526. They stated that I "did not receive subsequent treatment for my injury since my discharge.Which was obviously untrue, as I had been seen by the V.A. for this injury only four years earlier, only three months after my discharge, and lost my job because of it. :wub:

Today the V.A. cannot find the records of my 1975 - 1976 6 month Ortho rehab.

I can understand losing them 42 years later, but not 4 years. :ohmy:

I am hoping my claim is wrapped up with the V.A. within the next month, as I had my final C&P last week for my back. I have three discs that are protruding, one is on a nerve. This is due to my gait being off for the last forty years, because of my SC knee.

OH and my SC knee, they rated at 30% and took it away as they said that it was a prior injury to service and was Service Aggravated.  

During the Ortho exam, after the 1975 accident on base, I stated that, once as a teen my knee gave way running track. For all I know, I could have stepped on it the wrong way, as my patella never dislocated and tore ligaments ... But the V.A. now insists it is Service Aggravated and gave me 10% for arthritis. After I was service-connected and applied for an increase, the examiner that rated my knee recently amended the exam and said that, because my condition is so severe that my left knee must now be included, as well as a bilateral factor, as I have arthritis in that knee, as she said, because of my gait. And she ordered an MRI of my Lumbar. The MRI shows DDD from S1 L1-L5. And specifically L4-L5 which I was recently told that I will need surgery, as they are compressed and pressing on a nerve.

Recently I located my physical fitness entrance exam and it makes no note of ANY issues and passes my lower extremities. I believe, because of this that the 30% for my R knee, that was denied should be awarded?

Do I have a CUE from the 1980 error?

Thank you for reading my question?

Oops ... I posted this question a few months ago: 

The V.A. is driving me nuts! :blink:

Edited by WomanMarine
clairity

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
19 hours ago, WomanMarine said:

Claim Status1.png

Why would the VA add Individual Unemployability, when I had originally added Unemployability?

If you requested "unemployability", the official VA term is Individual Unemployability (IU).

Yes, depending on the amount of retro, it might take a bit longer. Larger amounts have to be approved higher up the chain.

52 minutes ago, Tbird said:

Thank you Tbird and thank you for your service.

Well that darn VA .. :wub:

They gave me I.U. but they did not rate my knee!!! Nor did they approve and EED, because of it!

I was actually told by the VA, 1000# that ... "most likely they already settled the claim, and because it was a Hardship, they did not take it into consideration" ... He then had me Fax my SoC to Janeville and change the title to "REQUEST FOR RECONSIDERATION OF EFFECTIVE DATE". He did state that they should have done this, after he reviewed the doc. Best help I have gotten from them, so far. Now I will see if they 'deal with it' or ...?

Not that I am not happy receiving the I.U., which I truly needed, but I want the EED not just for me but for my 26 y.o. daughter so I can challenge the EED of her DEA. They added the DEA to my award this last week. The VA fellow also told me to call the VA Educational Assistance and see if I can work with them.