VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• hohomepage-banner-2024-2.png

• 27-year-anniversary-leaderboard.png

advice-disclaimer.jpg

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Ratings increase due to amputation

Rate this question

UstabeArmyMedic

Question

I am currently rated at 10% for tendinitis in my left ankle.  My question is, if my leg needs to be amputated for a reason other than the tendinitis in my ankle, will I get the rating(I believe 40%) for amputation even though the tendinitis is not the reason it has to be amputated?  In other words I' 10% for my ankle.  My lower leg above the ankle (not service connected) causes a below knee amputation, the service connected ankle is now gone, to I get service connection rating for it being gone? 

• Answers 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

2 answers to this question

Only if the amputation is due to a service connected disability, would you get compensation for the residuals of the amputation.

You obviously have concern about a disability that would warrant a potential amputation.

But if the SC ankle is part of the amputation, that could no longer be compensated.

Is there any possibility at all that the leg disability that could cause amputation could be service connected?

With more info,hopefully,  we can help more.

You tell us.  Do you have documentation, from a medical professional, that your (amputation) is "at least as likely as not" due to (a primary or secondary service connected condition, including adverse affects of medications)?   If you have this, then its likely that your amputation will be covered.  Absent such documentation, you would need a favorable IME/IMO to get sc for it.    

Diabetes is probably the most likely condition which causes amputation frequently.  Are you sc for diabetes?