• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Agent Orange - What does VA consider Proper protocol

Rate this question

VN-Vet

Question

Hey Guys,

Several Questions on Agent Orange.

1. Does getting registered on the Agent Orange Registry hurt, help, or otherwise affect any future disability claim?  

2. Do I need to file/open a claim in order to be on the Agent Orange Registry?

3. Do I need, or is it good, to take the physical the 'Agent Orange Registry Health Exam' ?

4. What should I expect?

5. Would applying for the 'Agent Orange Registry and Subsequent Health Exam' , jeopardize any 'Intent to File' submitted?

6. any other suggestions?

Thanks broncovet, for the Link and another reminder about the "Caluza". (btw - who began that using that term here?)

As I stated - I self medicate, not to say I have not seen a doctor ever. There seems to be little to do for the skin condition and every different doctor calls it something different from the last doc.

The suspected heart condition, and maybe prostrate problem, of course will be diagnosed by a doctor, my questions relate directly to that - but I just was not sure whether to go get the diagnosed before I go to the VA, or after the Agent Orange Health Exam. From a strategic position, I can see benefits and problems, each way, so I was seeing  what the experiences or the crowd show is best. 

For the suspected heart problem - I self medicate by checking my conditions, BP, Pulse, losing weight, and eating right (as much as I can), and seeing if I can improve my stamina, and breathing. Seeing how that has not really worked to improve the situation, I will be seeing a doctor soon, but again, unsure if I should see a private doctor first, or get the Agent Orange Health Exam First?

LOL - I used to laugh when my parents would get together with my Aunts and Uncles and talk about their Health Issues and these types of problems - I thought then I would never do that! 🙂

Edited by VN-Vet

The "Caluza" elements, aka Caluza triangle, are from a case Caluza vs Brown where the courts defined what the Veteran must show to get service connection.  I speak of the Caluza Triangle often in my posts as many Veterans "neglect the basics" which are the "Big 3" Caluza elements required for service connection.  

Caluza elements to VA are like the basics in football.  Blocking, Passing, Running.  You wont get far in football if you dont understand these basics.  In a similar way, you wont get far with your VA claim if you lack any of the 3 Caluza elements.  Sometimes, you can even have a VSO, only to discover that you have been in appeals for 10 years while lacking one or more of the Caluza elements.  Your VSO "should" (but often dont) inform you if you lack any of the big 3, which must be corrected before you will get any sc compensation.  

Alex explains it in some detail, here:

https://asknod.org/2014/09/23/bva-caluza-v-brown-20-years-later/

HHC= Headquarters and Headquarters Company

Your Unit probably has a  web site.

In order to get the evidence for the Caluza elements, you will need to be under a doctors care.  Either a private doctor, or VA doc will work, if they document the Caluza triangle.  Alex calls it "the golden Triangle".  

Your doctor will "not only" need to document the diagnosis, and nexus, but he will also need to document "symptoms".  

You see, even if you have all 3 caluza elements that does not necessarily mean you will be compensated.  Vets can, and sometimes do, get "0" percent service connection.  This means you have documented the Caluza elements, but you dont have symptoms, or your symptoms are mild enough that they dont warrant compensation according to VA.  

This often happens with hearing loss, for example.  (It happened to me).  I applied for benefits as my hearing was bad (I even had hearing aids back in 2002).  The VA denied, then, upon appeal, I showed I had all the Caluza elements.  The VA awarded me 0 percent for hearing loss, even tho VA had supplied me with hearing aids.  

Later, I requested an "increase", and my hearing loss has been increased to 10 percent, then 20 percent.  

However, I always suggest you get your Caluza act together before worrying about symptoms.  Your symptoms dont matter until/unless you are service connected.  

If you are "asymptomatic" (you have been diagnosed with a disease, but you have no symptoms) it will usually result in no more than 0 percent.  They dont pay you for a disease, they pay you for the symptoms it causes, if any.  

Thanks Berta, that is what I remember as well, but I am beginning to find out my memory isn't always perfect. Then someone showed as Heavy Helicopter Company, and I did not want to disagree. I think I saw a webpage for them, http://www.rucker.army.mil/usaace/1ab/ , and I am trying to find who there I can email to ask how I can get the information on how to get my clinic records that was in our compound in Long Binh. Is FOIA involved in this part?

broncovet - Of the delusions I may have, I hope this is not one of them. I don't think this will be easy, but I am to old to just do 1 thing at a time, I have to be more expeditious with my time and have everything in the works all at once. Think of it as a plan of attack, like we did in the Army, Navy, Marines. etc. You get all your pieces ready to go, then attack on multiple sides. I'll say it again, I don't think it will be easy, but just steps needed to be taken. Hopefully I'll get cooperation from those I need help from, if not, then I'll get what I can from them and look for other means to make things credible. 

Still trying to decide - do I see a civilian doc(s) first, with a DBQ in hand as mentioned elsewhere, or do I get the Agent Orange Medical Exam first??

Thanks for the help

I sure could be wrong on the acronym- 

http://www.rucker.army.mil/usaace/1ab/- I was just there myself-at that page.

To get your SMRs ( Service Medical Records) and Military Personnel Records, go to

https://www.archives.gov/  , then click on the Veterans Records thing near top of page and they will take you where you file on line  for these records.Its called the SF180

They will give you a bar coded thing that you need to print off, sign, make copy for yourself, and mail to where they direct you, on the form, and get a proof of mailing from the PO. They can then associate your signature with the SF 180 you filled out on line

At least that is how it went for me when I got my husband's SMRs, years ago.

I would think you should get the AO Registry exam first.....

I like your "plan of attack" idea because the VA plays a war of the words with us sometime.

For every claim I have filed since my AMU days ,  I have prepared a War Plan....just basically the plan of attack.

But with service in Vietnam, and with a diagnosis any of the AO  presumptives in the link someone posted -you should really not have any problems. If PTSD might be an issue ,now is the time to consider filing for that,too.

I am a civilian and somone here needs to answer- does this vet technically become enrolled into the VA health care system when he gets the AO registry Exam?