• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

• fundraising.jpegGive a financial gift to help with the upkeep of HadIt.com. HadIt.com is NOT a non profit. Gifts are not tax deductible, they are just gifts. 

• Donation Box

Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Advertisemnt

Sign in to follow this  
madog31

Preexisting Childhood Asthma Aggravated in Service Denied

Question

I had infant asthma with all signs and symptoms of asthma gone by the time I was 9 or 10 years old.  On my pre-enlistment questionnaire, I marked I that I had had asthma (question says do you have or have you had) I had it as a kid and it was gone.  I enlisted in the Navy in 1979 and based upon all the research I have been able to find, with any history of asthma, I don't think I should have been allowed to enlist.  I have my service records and they are silent of any respiratory testing to enlist. The best I understand is they accepted me with a presumption of soundness.

I had not had any sort asthma symptoms for at least 8-10 years prior to service.  During rigorous running and physical training in boot camp, I had an asthma attack and had to go to the dispensary.

I filed a claim recently for service connection for asthma because it was aggravated in service and I was treated for an attack in service. I also have a 40% rating for a knee condition and have not been able to do much to be active over the years. At my most recent yearly VA physical, my cholesterol and weight were both going up so I figured I needed to do something to get some exercise. Swimming laps is something suggested to me so I tried that and after about 20 minutes of laps I had to quit because I was having asthma breathing problems.  I told my VA doctor who treated me with a daily inhaler and a rescue inhaler. Both have helped improve symptoms.

The VA denied my claim for asthma saying it was preexisting. I had been asthma free for almost a decade prior to service.  If regulations at the time I enlisted say I should have been disqualified for service, but they let me in with a presumption of soundness, what steps do I take in my appeal?

My mother has written a lay statement of the chronology of my childhood asthma and when symptoms were gone.  How do I show aggravation v exacerbation?  What should a doctors IMO say?

Thank you.

3 answers to this question

from ASKNOD

If  the sublexing patella occurred in the military , then it is service connected. If you did have it and it was noted at entry, and then got worse (especially within the golden one-year period after separation), it's still service connected. To deny ignores the precept of §3.1 and §3.303(a) - to wit, if it happened in the service or got worse in the service, it's service connected absent willful misconduct. If it is found to be SC, then a finding of fact states as much. Wilson v. Derwinski 1990 (The regulation requires continuity of symptomatology, not continuity of treatment.) "Acute and transitory and resolved before separation" is a finding of fact. But it is not grounds for declaring it non-service connected. Remember, it ieither service connected or it's not service connected. You can't be a little pregnant here.

• Like 1

You got great responses.  I advise you to appeal beginning by filing a NOD.  However, you may not have a very large disabiliity percentage here if your symptoms are "acute and transitory".  

The VA isnt going to pay you for your pain and suffering for your asthma attack, even if service connected.  

VA benefits are to reflect the "loss of earning capicity".  So, if you have an asthma attack once every 2 years, and keep right on working, then my guess is that you would be rated at zero percent.  

However, if your doc gives you a list of restrictions, then that my help toward demonstrating a functional loss of earning.  

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By RF-4Cmike
      My appeal for PTSD was "Remanded".
    • By Glenndawson100
      Hi,
      I received me letter today, and I was denied. This time the error is clear. The Doctor who preformed my ACE examine said my initial diagnoses was Epilepsy then proven to be pseudo seizures. Initially at the ER (and my week long hospitalization after) and for about one month after I was diagnosed with PNES and not epilepsy. However since I kept experience both petite mal and grand mal episodes and then Epileptic medication treatment began to WORK, I was diagnosed with Epilepsy. My doctor in my civilian record's back dated the diagnoses to the May when the first event occurred. I've attached my letter; you'll see that they received my Neurologists note about my treatment since may and then confirmed my Diagnoses on 04DEC2019. Pseudo seizures are only mentioned in my records between May2019-June2019. I think this VES contracted doctor saw the diagnoses labeled in may but didn't review(or care) to look at the LETTER AND NOTE DATED BY MY DOCTOR ON 05DEC2019 WITH MY CONFIMRED DIGNOSES AND THEN UPLOADED TO THE VA ON 24DEC2019. Opinions? HLR or do I wait 3 months to see my VA Neurologist, as I no longer have Tricare to see my UCHealth DR., and have him confirm the diagnoses... I'm only 5 months away from all this stuff lasting a year and getting really fed up with the VA. My first denial was also because of the phraseology used by my ER and Hospital doctors after the first event in may. Hint that's why I had my specialty neurologist who had been seeing my since June confirm my Epilepsy diagnosis... uuuhhhggg.

• By Vync
      Did the VA make the same CUE twice? Please offer your opinion.
      In my CUE, I asserted the VA failed to apply:
      38 CFR 4.40 Functional Loss 4.45 The Joints Key provisions of the DeLuca ruling (painful motion = functional loss = limited motion)  
      Here is the rating decision denying CUE:
      The VA acknowledges that a loud click was heard and painful motion started at 29 mm (falls in the criteria for a 20% rating)
      Again, the VA failed to apply:
      38 CFR 4.40 Functional Loss 4.45 The Joints Key provisions of the DeLuca ruling (painful motion = functional loss = limited motion) Do you agree that the VA again failed to apply these laws?
      Should I have been granted a 20% rating?

I wanted to ask about something else I am considering adding. In Nov 1997, I had a C&P exam which was lost, but I later found it in my claims file. It is never mentioned - ever. What's great is in the second C&P exam, the doctor stated material from the first exam was "misplaced".
      Key factors:
      1. C&P examiner stated (in exam #2) that this material from exam #1 was misplaced (that's a CUE just by itself)
      2. Dictionary definition of "midway" is "halfway"
      3. Simple math: 35 mm divided by .5 (half) is 17.5 mm.
      4. The DeLuca factors would confirm limited motion began at 17.5 mm.
      Would a reasonable person to come to the conclusion that limited motion began at 17.5 mm?
      Or would this be considered weighing of the evidence? I tend to disagree because this evidence was never weighed by the VA. Also, my interpretation uses objective facts (35 mm, midway meaning halfway, and common math). There is no attempt to weigh evidence.

Thoughts?

• By Vync
      My thanks go out to everyone here on hadit.com! In September 2019, I filed two CUE claims. One was granted and the other was denied, but will be appealed. 
      In 1995, I filed a claim for rhinitis/sinusitis (38 CFR 4.97 DC 6501/6522) and it was granted on appeal in 2000 due to aggravation of pre-existing disability. 30% was awarded, but it was reduced by 10% to 20% due to the C&P examiner's opinion: “OPINION: In my opinion, the veteran obviously had allergic problems before entering the service which got worse while he was in the service…” After fighting for five years, I was elated and took the VSO's advice not to rock the boat.
      In 2009, I found hadit.com and began educating myself. I always felt something was not quite right and began researching this issue. I was still worried about rocking the boat, but in 2019 I finally got the courage to move forward after having a heart attack and realizing life is short. I performed extensive research and filed the CUE claim in September 2019. Because of the ridiculously strict CUE rules, I was required to use laws in effect at the time the rating decision was made, which were found in old copies of the Federal Register. Another challenge was boiling it down to just the facts, removing emotional factors, and presenting the error from the perspective of a reasonable person (i.e. 8th grade reading level, if that).
      The VA failed to properly apply this pivotal law from 1961:
      Two key factors apply:
      1. VA must determine the level of disability existing at the time of entrance into active service
      2. If the VA cannot determine the level of disability existing at the time of entrance into active service in terms of the rating schedule, they are not allowed to reduce the rating.

I then looked up the rating criteria in effect in 2000:

My entrance exam was "normal". The C&P found polyps to justify the 30% rating. Can "normal" be ascertained in terms of the rating schedule? No.

Other than including a copy of the evidence, relevant laws in effect at the time, and showing how the VA failed to follow the laws when making the decision, this summarizes the entire situation:

After the VA received my CUE packet, it took them 127 days to complete the request. Six weeks were wasted by the VA requesting copies of relevant medical records from the VAMC, despite those records already being present in my claims file. Considering the fact that my claims file was partially scrambled and even contained other veterans documents, I kind of don't blame them for re-requesting the records so they have them contiguously. One week was wasted by someone at the VARO asking if a CUE needed to be submitted on a specific form (as of today, not required per M21-1).

As for my other CUE, it was for TMJ and failing properly apply DeLuca and ROM laws. The rating decision contained even less detail than the original decision. In effect, they made the exact same error again, so I will be appealing.
    • By baezivy
      Hello everyone. I filed an appeal this past October 28th. Since the appeals process has changed and I am new to this, has anyone appealed a denied decision or a low rating recently and has received a decision on the appeal? If so, how long did it take to get a decision from the date you filed? I am just wondering how long the appeal takes. My claim was pretty quick, it took about 3 months which wasn't bad. Thank you all.
  • Ads

• Our picks

• So, my lawyer sent an IME w/ IMO and filed a supplemental claim solely for IU on March 20.

It was closed on March 25, and va.gov just states claim closed and nothing more.

Hopefully, I get good news.
    • Thanks for the responses. I am filing a new claim but will continue pushing the NOD. My new question is it stated in law or statute that if during the claims process the VA finds conditions that could possibly rate service connection that was not originally filed for, the VA will “invite” the veteran to file the claim on the claims form. Reason I ask is that my private DBQs, NEXUS letter, and even the VA nurse examiner's DBQs lists bilateral upper radiculopathy as present. If it is written in statute or official guidance it might qualify as a CUE. Just looking at all angles. 
    • Everyone needs to read our stories so they can try to avoid these screws by the va...
      Thank you, everyone contributes, good or bad, all of our stories will help others, and yes, they have been stated by others for ages, over and over, but we just get depressed, and the time turns into years as they screw us..

Welcome to the department of Veterans Affairs!  I can honestly say, "been there, done that".  

Even after winning my tdiu in 2017, it was back to the drawing board as VA hornswaggeld my effective date.  (but of course).  

I finally won my tdiu effective date in Feb. 2020, 18 years after I first applied!!!  

Here is how they managed to drag mine out 18 years:

1.  They never adjuticated my decison until 2009, where they called it "moot".  

2.  I appealed, said it was not moot because it could result in an earlier effective date and SMC S under Bradley vs Peake.  The judge agreed with me, and ordered VARO consider me for extra schedular TDIU, under 4.16 b.  

3.  The VARO piddles with  the remand for 3 years, and hoped I wouldnt notice.  I noticed and raised cane until they adjuticated it.  (denied of course).  

4.  Finally, after the baord denied again, I hired a lawyer, in 2014, and appealed to CAVC.   

5.  The lawyer won a remand, got an IMO and I won tdiu in 2017.  But at the wrong effective date, even after 15 years.  

6.  I hired another lawyer, Chris Attig, and appealed the effective date, and he won a remand for effective date.  Trip 2 to CAVC.  

7.  Mr. Attig won a remand, and advised me to get another IMO.  

8.  The board awarded my earlier effective date in Feb. 2020.  

So, I do have advice fighting VA for TDIU, they fought and fought and I hung in there and won it all.  

ADVICE:  Dont count on VA, they could easily throw your fax in the trash.  Follow up!  
    • "Keep in mind that due to the nature of the digestive system, VA would most likely combined your conditions and pay you at the higher rate to avoid pyramiding".    That is one of my main gripes.  They are only listing the GERD with hiatal hernia and ignoring the rest of my gastric issues such as the gastritis which I also had in service.  I included it in my 2007 request for increase and again in 2019.  The info from the civilian dr that stated I had the gastritis with H pylori was not even provided to the examiner in 2007, nor did he have my VA health records. The 2019 request was based on an EGD I had AT THE VA in Jan 2019.   I filed for an increase 6 Mar and they did an ACE on 27 Mar and downgraded to noncompensable on that date.  The only reason I was thinking CUE:  38 CFR § 3.326 - Under Examinations  it states (c) Provided that it is otherwise adequate for rating purposes, a statement from a private physician may be accepted for rating a claim without further examination".  
    • Enough has been said on this topic. This forum is not the proper forum for an attorney and former client to hash out their problems. Please take this offline
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines