Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

PTSD

Rate this question

Rick33

Question

I was recently diagnosed with PTSD with several stressors drug out of me. Would the OKC bombing be considered a “fear of hostile military or terrorist activity”?

thank you very much L. Helps tremendously. 

Edited by Rick33
We lost a neighbor and close friend in the blast as well.

• Answers 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

@Rick33 This will be a very lame attempt in thinking about your question....

http://militarypay.defense.gov/Pay/Special-and-Incentive-Pays/HFP_IDP/

I understand this link is the criteria for pay in Hostile situations, but in looking at how they define hostile area/activities -

I speculate, you would need to be assigned to the OKC BLDG as a part of regular duty....? Still thinking this out. 

"A member is entitled to IDP when assigned to a designated IDP area. To see which areas are designated as IDP areas, view figure 10-1 in the DOD Financial Management Regulation.

The commander determines HFP based on whether a member is:

• Subject to hostile fire or mine explosions
  • In an area near hostile fire or mine explosions which endanger the member
  • Killed, injured, or wounded by hostile fire, mines, or any hostile action

Special Situations

Three special situations affect HFP/IDP. These apply to members who are:

• Captured or missing
  • Hospitalized as a result of hostile action
  • Otherwise entitled to HFP/IDP but are missing from the area for an entire calendar month

I found this case in a recent 2012 - decision with the following definition https://www.va.gov/vetapp12/files5/1233589.txt

Service connection for PTSD requires medical evidence diagnosing the condition in accordance with 38 C.F.R. § 4.125(a), a link, established by medical evidence, between current symptoms and an in-service stressor; and credible supporting evidence that the claimed in-service stressor occurred.  

If a stressor claimed by a veteran is related to the Veteran's fear of hostile military or terrorist activity and a VA psychiatrist or psychologist, or a psychiatrist or psychologist with whom VA has contracted, confirms that the claimed stressor is adequate to support a diagnosis of PTSD 
and that the Veteran's symptoms are related to the claimed stressor, in the absence of clear and convincing evidence to the contrary,
and provided the claimed stressor is consistent with the places, types, and circumstances of the Veteran's service, the Veteran's lay 
testimony alone may establish the occurrence of the claimed in-service stressor. 
Fear of hostile military or terrorist activity means that a veteran experienced, witnessed, or was confronted with an event 
or circumstance that involved actual or threatened death or serious injury, or a threat to the physical integrity of the Veteran
 or others, such as from an actual or potential improvised explosive device; vehicle-imbedded explosive device; incoming artillery,
 rocket, or mortar fire; grenade; small arms fire, including suspected sniper fire; or attack upon friendly military aircraft, and 
the Veteran's response to the event or circumstance involved a psychological or psycho-physiological state of fear, helplessness,
 or horror.  38 C.F.R. § 3.304(f)(3) (2011); 75 Fed. Reg. 39845 (July 13, 2010).

Hope this helps and not confuses

Edited by L
added info- link to a VA BVA case

OKC was a terrorist act. I would think that PTSD for that incident would qualify if you were AD Military on site/assignment at the time of the explosion.

Can you document your presence? This would be a stressor. You said multiple stressors, were they all during active duty (AD)?

Edited by pwrslm

7 hours ago, broncovet said:

Great, well thought out, well researched answer, L!!!   

@Broncovet Aw Shucks - I actually wanted to logically think through it. I did/do not know the answer ...... I know "I " often seem  like devils advocate of the VA - but I go to the END of the argument and think, "Why would they deny this?" and then trace back. Just got my B.S. online - missing homework LOL 

Great, L.  We need more people to answer questions..especially well thought out, and, of course, without insulting any Veterans.  BUCK, Berta, Alex, and myself all respect each others opinions, and we dont get mad when someone disagrees with us.  But, nobody likes to be called an idiot.  4 people are NEVER gonna agree on everything, no matter what!  

Yes I was stationed at TAFB and was a security policeman. A civilian friend was murdered in the blast. All of my stressors were AD and can be proven with documents and lay evidence. My child was in hospital first 3 weeks of life with meningitis symptoms, a fall I took and a hardship discharge. 

The one I will have a hard time proving is when someone held me down and you it a pillow over my head while I was sleeping. I can never get it out of my head. My psychiatrist says it’s PTSD.