Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Secondary Condition Claim

Rate this question

wjg2370

Question

Will or can filing a claim for a secondary condition result in review of of the underlying condition with risk of downgrade of the rating for the underlying condition?  In my case the secondary condition is diabetic peripheral neuropathy.  

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Thanks for your response.  I'm filing for a secondary condition, not for an increase in diabetes rating.  If the VA and reduces diabetes rating from 40% and awards the secondary condition at 10%, my net benefit (including loss of concurrent receipt of retirement pay) goes from $937 to $100.

The 40% rating requires restrictions against strenuous activities.  When VA reads recommendations to exercise, they say restriction of activities is voluntary, not medically necessary.  When that rating was increased from 20% to 40%, the exercise recommendation was light to moderate exercise at own pace.  Avoid strenuous exercise to reduce risk of hypos.  I supported with several; months of BG readings.  When I ask for same similar wording, some endos and   physicians give a strange look and say something like "Well, you don't have to exercise that hard".

We have tried to calm your fears, but some people really WANT to WORRY.  You get to decide.  Do you want to live your life in constant fear of a rating reduction, even tho your chances of that are very slim?  Or, would you rather dwell on the great things in your life.  Choose wisely.  I have made my choice.  

I did file for diabetic peripheral neuropathy and my C&P exam is Th.  An internet search turned up decisions in three cases appealing reductions in diabetes rating from 40% to 20%.  Two were over turned because the veteran was never specifically told he was cleared for strenuous activities.  In the other, the veteran didn't meet the criteria for 40% and VA was correcting their mistake.

Ok.   Remember, tho, you have to have evidence for your claim, not those 3 other Vets.  The doctor needs to opine for "you" not necessarily those in some study, tho the doc can cite this study as his rationale for his medical opinion.  

An example may help explain it.   Navy men wear "blue" uniforms.  So, lets say 10 Navy men get cancer, all of which wore blue uniforms.  Does this mean "blue unifroms cause cancer"?   No.  It does not mean that.  However, it also does not mean that a dye used for blue uniforms "did not" cause your cancer, but a doctor could opine that you got an infection from an open would that would not heal, and this infection led to cancer "in you".  He could opine that the blue dye in your uniform "at least as likely as not" caused your infection.  This would not mean the other nine Veterans who were in the Navy and got cancer, got it from blue uniforms.