Jump to content

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

  • homepage-banner-2024.png

  • donate-be-a-hero.png

  • 0

Secondary Condition Claim

Rate this question



Will or can filing a claim for a secondary condition result in review of of the underlying condition with risk of downgrade of the rating for the underlying condition?  In my case the secondary condition is diabetic peripheral neuropathy.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Recommended Posts

  • 1
  • Moderator

Yes, see criteria for reductions below:  

"Whenever a Veteran seeks an increase in benefits, try to talk him out of that by putting fear in him that will result in a reduction of benefits instead.  This is to prevent Veterans from getting all the benefits to which they are entiltled, and to prevent lazy VSO's from having to leave their comfortable bar seat to work instead of increasing their daily alcohol consumption."  

Source:  VSO manual number LAZY 24/7. 1343.  

If you are unable to find this criteria for reductions, its because its not written down, and only spoken at VFW bars, and, because its one of the biggest lines of horse schist spewed of all time, that Veterans are frequently fed. 

My advice:  Apply for any increase or secondary condition to which you feel you deserve.  Read the criteria for reductions instead of listenting to VSO bar talk.  

NOTE:  This is not to insult any VEteran who may have repeated or rephrased the above.  

Edited by broncovet
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Yes, as well as any other current SC Condition. Reductions are always possible, even with an SC that was Awarded Total and Permanent Status until the SC hits the 20 yr Status Lock.

With an Intent to Reduce Letter, you only have 60 Days to Appeal.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
  • HadIt.com Elder

I agree with Gastone & broncovet

Usually a veteran needs medical documentation from a qualified Dr an opinion from the Dr to state he has examined you and read your medical records of the disease or injury and give his/her opinion that your S.C. CONDITION HAS WORSEN. and go into full detail about your condition and could possibly add other secondary conditions.

   a specialist works better for this.  & He/She needs to give their credentials & experience.

it may be costly to  see a specialist  but well worth it  b/c instead of a reduction you will most likely get increase  depending on how well the Specialist writes it up.


Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

"  In my case the secondary condition is diabetic peripheral neuropathy.  "

I assume you already have a SC rating for the diabetes. Diabetic peripheral neuropathy is certainly one of Many conditions that diabetes can cause.

Since the VA had no Miraculous cure for diabetes, I hardly think you need to worry about losing the rating for it that  you have now.

However, as obvious as diabetic PN is to diabetes, I hope you get a C & P examiner who knows that medical fact.

If you have any other disabilties the diabetes has caused, you should claim them too.

The VA diabetes training letter is here available under a search.If you also have PAD ( peripheral arterial disease, )that too can be separately compensated by the VA if due to the diabetes.

Diabetes can affect heart,brain, feet, vision, dental problems, an endless list ( I did a LOT of research on DMII for a claim I had)

and fortunately it is treatable....but not curable.



Edited by Berta

GRADUATE ! Nov 2nd 2007 American Military University !

When thousands of Americans faced annihilation in the 1800s Chief

Osceola's response to his people, the Seminoles, was

simply "They(the US Army)have guns, but so do we."

Sameo to us -They (VA) have 38 CFR ,38 USC, and M21-1- but so do we.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

In my opinion the VA will almost never look at any condition other than the condition that you are claiming in your request for service connection. Sometimes , the va will have to look at the other condition  for various reasons, however a reduction is not normally one of them.  Broncovet made a very good point, many people  have repeated the scare tactics over the years but it simply is not true. I believe no matter what your rating is, if you feel the VA should award you additional compensation, and you have the medical evidence put in the claim. 

                                                                                I am not a lawyer so take my opinions with a grain of salt...

If I had listened to the nay sayers, I would never have acheived any ratings after I was awarded TDIU in 1999. Now I have not one but two 100% ratings, a TDIU  and 4 SMC awards !  I say JUST GO For It

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.” -Albert Einstein.






Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

When asking for an increase on my disability I actually was recommended for a reduction in rating and a severance of service connection on my SOC.  Both were recommended against VA law though in that the rating they were trying to reduce was twenty years old and the severance was for a service connection that was over ten years old.  I do not know if they would have gotten away with it if I was not in a protected status.  I am not saying that they would do this to someone else but they really were playing hardball with me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines and Terms of Use