VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about VSO’s

Rate this question

Austin0520

Question

Hello everyone, thanks to all who have shared, the posts here have helped me a lot to get an idea of this difficult process. 

I have a question because I’m still trying to understand how everything works. Are the VSO’s on our side? I always thought yes, but recently I feel I’ve had a couple that are stalling the process or not giving me great advice. I’m just wondering so I know how to proceed.  Been seriously thinking about going the lawyer route because I know they will do what’s best for my case since they get a percentage.

Thanks everyone!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

In my opinion, any claimant who depends completely on a vet rep or VSO, might well end up in the crapper.

Although there are certainly great VSOS out there- they are also probably burned out, most of the time.

Everything you need to know as to how to succeed in your claim is here at hadit.

Often some vets  think a vet rep or even a lawyer or IMO doctor can establish the critical "nexus" factor for them.

Sometimes they can but that is often up to the veteran themselves to prove.

Has your claim been denied?

If so the VA gave a reason for the denial that you need to overcome.

Maybe we can help more if we know more.

Thanks Berta! I hope I’m in the right section, I’m having trouble navigating the forum (how will I ever navigate the VA system??!) haha

I have lots of stuff going on. The claim I was referring to in this post was denial of hip arthritis secondary to a service connected foot injury. I have been fighting this for years, and the VA says it’s not service connected. Several doctors have told me that it is BUT not one will write their professional opinion on paper for me. I’ve gotten in touch with Dr. Bash to help. Thanks to everyone who recommended him! 

My question about the VSO was just a general question, I’m trying to understand the system. 

Thanks Berta, you’re a wealth of knowledge!

There are a wide variety of opinions on VSO's, and I respect Berta's.  But, I also know that not everyone has Berta's skills, and needs help.  Yes, you can get help on hadit, but, even then its not enough for some people.  Some Veterans lack education, computer expertise, organization skills, and some even lack the funds for postage to send stuff in themselves.  Some dont even have an ADDRESS, and are homeless!  

Sure, there are Veterans who will tell you, "My VSO, Jimmy, helped me win benefits," and that is probably true.  However, like Berta, many Vets advocates do NOT recommend a VSO.  

Lets shy away from anecdotal evidence, and turn to percentages of "wins" found at the Board of Veterans appeals:

EACH year, the BVA Chairman compiles statistics, and sends this report to congress:

https://www.bva.va.gov/Chairman_Annual_Rpts.asp

On page 29, of the 2017 report, you will see that Veterans represented by attorney's have the best win percentage at 39.9 percent.  Attorney's also have the lowest denial percentage at 13.7 percent (most of the rest are "remands")  

Previous years also showed that attorney represented Vetrans won their claim at the BVA more often than those represented by VSO's, and they were denied less.  

Thus, for many Vets, its worth it to hire an attorney, according to the statistics at the BVA.  

Personally, even tho I have been a hadit member for 10 years, I am still currently represented by an attorney (at the CAVC).  My attorney is Chris Attig, who often posts helpful information for Veterans on hadit.  

It is my understanding that Chris Attig represents only Veterans who have been denied by The BVA, as I was.  

I can tell you the timing of hiring an attorney is important.  In my opinion, the best time is as soon as possible AFTER a BVA denial.  The reason is, that attorneys can often get their fees paid at the CAVC by EAJA, which means the Veteran pays little or nothing.  

I hired an attorney about 2 years ago, also after a BVA denial.  Eventually, I was awarded benefits but not at the effective date I thought was correct, so I appealed again.    Still, I won about 35 k in retro, and most of my attorney fees were paid by EAJA. 

Alex Graham is one of the most knowledgeable on here, and he even enlisted the services of an attorney a few years ago when he won a six figure retro back to 1994.     

Broncovet,

Thank you so much for this information! Exactly what I was looking for and couldn’t find it.  I think I will contact Chris Attig and see what he thinks. I appreciate the information and the referral! I wish I would have found hadit 10 years ago!!