VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Getting Eduational Program Approved

Rate this question

Snake Eyes

Question

The VA does approve non-accredited programs. However, these approvals happen at the state level through something called a "State Approving Authority". My son is going to Calvary Chapel Bible College in the fall. They're currently not approved, but are willing to pursue it (they thought they had to be accredited). I was wondering how long it takes for a school to get approved.

I realize it may vary from state to state, so I'm looking for a ballpark. Has anyone done GI Bill or Chap 32 through a school that had to be approved before you could start with VA benefits?

• Answers 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

3 answers to this question

Interesting- VA usually does not approve some religious schools. However I was interested in using Chapter 35 again (under my AO IHD award) and contacted Liberty University recently  ( I am a Bible student) and they were thrilled that I had Chapter 35 and were familar with it and wanted me to enroll right away.

Most schools, at their web site, should  have info on whether they are VA approved or not or you could contact their financial aid office.

Some schools (like bartending school) obviously are not VA approved. Also I thought I could finish college credits for my pilot's license under Chap 35 but they would not approve that.

The degree I have is from AMU (American Military University).I was their first civilian graduate and they are VA approved.( and VA did approve my Chapter 35 to pay for the tuition.)

I have never heard of any ' State Approving Authority.'

Calvary University ( separate from Calvary Bible college)  is  definitely VA approved:

http://www.calvary.edu/military-and-veterans/

This is an easy (but a bit old) version of the M28 that is the guidebook for VR&E the VA administers. It references the CFR as well, so you can double check info and assess what they should do if you apply.

[UPDATED 7/14/14: Get Updated 1,488 PDF M28R Here]

I found info on Ch35 on page 1212 for elig. and entitlement/administration of the program. this is a huge PDF.

Edited by pwrslm