VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hypertension And CKD

Rate this question

Hardtyme

Question

I was diagnosed with hypertension before I separated form the military and over the years I've developed chronic kidney disease (CKD) with eGFR of 54 sometimes int he 40's.  And, I am wanting to get this CKD or renal insufficiency service-connected.  I'm 10% on the hypertension already but don't know what the final outcome will be whether they'll combine the disabilities or rate each separate.

So, I am wondering if I need a nexus letter  from a physician or will the VA accept the doctor's notes from a nephrologist that says Diagnosis "Hypertensive chronic kidney disease with stage 2 through stage 4 chronic kidney disease, or unspecified chronic kidney disease.  All the VA doctor's notes have the lab  eGFR's at or near what the Nephrologist's office obtained.  So do I need a Nexus letter?  i guess it would help but sometimes doctors just don't want to prepare a letter.

• Answers 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I received a phone call from QTC this morning setting me up for an exam for the CKD/HTN.  I thought that since the VA did lab work on the CKD that that would suffice as well as my Nephrologist but off to the QTC I go.  I'm not sure what they'll do except take some blood work, maybe a few questions from the examiner..  An ideas as to how I may prepare?

I took a look at Ebenefits this evening and found that my case was closed and that I was awarded 30% for Renal Insufficiency S/C based on the lab reports I sent the RO and Doctors notes.  They did accept both and as aforementioned, the case is now closed.  Packet/envelope to follow.