VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Changing Appointment times & Dates beware!

Rate this topic

• HadIt.com Elder

Not all VAMC Dr's and therapist are alike   So Just a Heads Up!

My MH  VA L.C.S.W. Therapist changes my Appointment times and dates without notifying me of these changes

I just happen to look on Myhealthvet  a day or two or the night before my noted appointment and to find these changes made without my knowledge.

I had an appointment scheduled for 6/12/18 AT 2:30 PM  ..I just happen to look today at my Appointments to find this change  from 2:30pm to 11:00am  and this is not the first time this has happen,.

Had I not recheck these appointment schedules I would have been a ''NO SHOW'' maybe it don't happen for most of you  but its wise to check your Appointments a day or so before you go.

Even though I get the reminder card in the mail & Phone Calls ( automated  ) a few weeks before the scheduled Appointment  Do not take that for granite.

Its very important we make our Appointments  if we don't show up It's a reflection of an Improvement on your disability and by not showing up this is exactly what the VA will use against you ever chance they get.

which if some get a reduction proposal  it can be beat but it can cause veterans a lot pf problems and unnecessary stress.

B/C Its the Veteran responsibility to get to his VA Appointments on time   rather a general check-up appointment or procedure or a C&P

Edited by Buck52

Many of us have heard horror stories of Vets who were not notified of a C and P exam, missed it and were denied.     While I have no doubt that happens, mostly we have to stay on top of our appointments.  

My VAMC is pretty good at sending me a reminder letter about a week before appointments..and they call me, usually with an automated system, and ask you to confirm an appointment or reschedule.  

I have not had too much problem with this.  

• HadIt.com Elder

Like I mention broncovet not all VAMC are this way  but some are  and I wanted to just warn the Veterans about this kind of stuff going on at  Different  VAMC Locations Across the Country.

I've seen this first hand and it was nefarious. I called and cancelled an appointment. **Reason I cancelled a whole other VAHC story** I was going through a new private PCP DR intake at the same time same month.

Sometime after I called and cancelled (and I do not remember honestly if they scheduled another but I never got the APPT card or call like normal, at least now they do text so we have a 3rd party telco carrier with the info for historical record) a NEW appointment was made for a few weeks later and I only discovered this many months later. And it said APPT NOT KEPT. This is what you are all talking about. 

Long story short there is/was some CYA going on at the VA Clinic in question. And also my PCP Dr change over all at the same time.  The reason I cancelled the appointment was something I would have never expected from a DR anywhere period what was said to me, veiled threat, a story if you will directed at me about me as it could be me.  

I'd be really curious if they could go back and see who entered the NEW appointment. Because of the CYA of what was done after they learned of more about my SC medical issues I have and what I was told to do in the mean time for my issue. In other words here do this when you need to and have a nice life. Now the next appt because my issue has gotten worse I'm told all this XYZ info and my jaw dropped to floor because I'm thinking while DR is talking how can I go from that to needing this major thing done? And that is where I am at now. I could give more info but specifics would lead to knowing exactly who/what/when/where and I don't want to jeopardize my situation as going through a new claim(s) now. 

For reference I'm new to the whole VAHC system less 2.5 years if you will.

Edited by spearhead91

This is why I take my little card and/or letter with me to my appointments. I also print out the appointment at the check in kiosk. I have stopped at the desk to make sure everything was okay and sat down to read. Much later I ask about the appointment and get told by one of the same individuals that was there originally that I didn't have an appointment and I can't get travel pay. I find someone in charge and she comes up to see what the problem is. I have my check in sheet so I have proof I checked in. She blesses out the individual for not even being on the right screen and tells him to get me my travel pay. One of the check-in people recognized me the next time I was there. Apparently there had been some ass chewing because he claimed I knew people, apparently people in high places.

I have shown up for an appointment and they tell me I don't have one, it was cancelled. I ask by who because I obviously didn't drive nearly an hour and a half to an appointment that I cancelled. There is no accountability and no one gives a shitte. Always has been and always will be.

I had two appointments back to back with the same doctor to check nerves. I checked in and the rather large desk person let him know I was there. After a while of sitting there reading I get up to see what the problem is. This rather large desk person lets him know I am waiting. The doctor claims he didn't know I was waiting because she didn't tell him. Well I am taking a few notes about this because I am expecting to be writing some letters about this experience. This doctor doesn't like that. He gets off on some sort of power trip about being a Colonel. Well I was only seen for one of my appointments. I raised hell about the whole situation and the way I was treated to my congressman. The VA replied that I only had one appointment. That prompts another letter to my congressman with a copy of my two appointments. But what good does it do? There is no accountability and no one gives a shitte.

I later have another appointment with this same doctor the check the nerves of the area he didn't check before. He tells me I don't need that, that I need a tens unit. Since I already have a tens unit I don't even bother to go by and pick another one up. SSDD. No accountability and no on gives a shitte.

I think I am getting like asknod. As soon as I get the twenty year point I think I will avoid the VA like the plague.   

• HadIt.com Elder

I got three more years on my 20 year protection  and Ill probably do the same  seek private healthcare.

The VA D's /Therapist , Nurse PT's ,Normally they cover them self by putting into the Medical notes  when they cancel an appointment and then reschedule it at the same time  this is how I find out it was change by looking into MyHealthevet the night before I go.

One time I had an appointment cancel at the last minute  the therapist became suddenly Ill at 11:00 am My appointment was at 1:00 pm I was in rout to the VAMC.....got to the clinic 30 Minutes early  to find my appointment had been cancel  therapist went home sick at 11:00am  and rescheduled for a later date   which with these type of things can happen  so I was not up set  just made a useless trip.

Not all VAMC and the Dr's Nurse PT And Therapist that work there are not this way, they are some decent common sense ones..eh!

But its best to  Always recheck your appointment times and dates if you have computer check with My Healthevet '' Appointment'' Dates  the night before your scheduled appointment!

my point of this post.