Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Va Shows Me Rated At 10%-but Forgot To Tell Me!

Rate this question

bm6546

Question

I have a claim in to the VA for my heart. I am currently in "Ratings" since Jan 1, 07, to see if I am SC for my heart. I just returned from an appointment with my VSO. He called the VARO and they told him that I was already SC at 10% for my heart condition. Nobody at VA has ever told me that I am SC for my heart and I have not received my 10% or any money from the VA or anybody else for over 40 years.

I received a medical discharge for my heart from the Navy in 1966. At that time I received approximately $37.00 or $45.00 a month (can't remember exact amount- 40 years ago) This was compensation from the Navy or VA for disability. I received this amount for approximately 3 months and then the payments stopped without any notice.

Does anyone know how I can find out how long I have been SC at 10% and what can I do about it? I have not been receiving any money from anybody.

Also I am trying to find out how I can get copies of the paper work that shows I was recieving this monthly payment for 3 months back in 1966. I requested info from NPR but they don't have any info on this.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Brian

I've waited this long and I'm not giving up....NEVER!!

• Answers 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Berta,

Thanks for your reply. I don't have anything in writing that shows I have a sc 10% award and I am pretty sure that my VSO doesn't either. We found this out by calling the 800# and it was verified by 2 different people. How can I get a copy of my award letter from 1966 or any other evidence that will support the fact that I am sc at 10%.

Thanks,

Brian B)

Brian,

If you don't have a copy of your C-file, get one right away. You've got to have hard copy of that 10% award in hand or any paranoia may be justified. "If it ain't in writing it doesn't exist!"

Ralph

Brian,

your letter reminds me of a letter, I found in my medical records a couple of years ago, in the letter dated 1984, that the VARO, wanted a Doctor letter stating that my (service-connected disability condition) from Vietnam has gotten worst. trouble is my skin condition isn't service-connected. I brought this letter into the RO, and they basically said, someone wrote the letter wrong, and dismissed it as a clerical mistake.

• HadIt.com Elder

bm6546,

The easiest way to get a copy of one's C-file is to write a letter to your RO citing the 1974 Privacy Act. In this letter just state you want a complete and accurate copy of your C-file under the 1974 Privacy Act and the RO will mail you a copy. According to Federal Law under the provisions of the 1974 Privacy Act, the VA is suppose to respond within 20 days. This rarely happens due to the enormous backlog, but VA usually gets you your C-file to you within a few weeks.

Vike 17