VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Fibromyalgia & Kidney Stones Eligibility for Service-Connected

Rate this question

SSGTMARINE88

Question

I first experienced kidney problem while on active duty as a Marine Security Guard in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia in 1994. The doctor treated me as having been dehydrated. Years later, in May 2012, I experienced my first official Kidney Stone at 9 mm on left side, which I had to have a lithotripsy. In 2016, I developed a second kidney stone measuring at 6 mm on right side, treated by VA in Ann Arbor, MI. In June 2018, I developed my third kidney stone measuring 3 mm on right side, treated by VA Ann Arbor, MI. VA doctors informed me that I still had several smaller stones in both kidneys. In July 2018, I developed a fourth kidney stone measuring 4 mm on left side, a stent was implanted, and tomorrow I am scheduled for another lithotripsy. While, awaiting the lithotripsy, it appears i have another stone developing on the right side again.

While in Ethiopia, I was constantly in Eritrea and Massawa having swam in the Red Sea. I do know that Gulf War Syndrome lists the Red Sea as an area of claim but during the Southwest Asia Threat. It appears, that I should still be service-connected but I'm unsure as personnel at Battle Creek, VA, suggested that I couldn't claim Gulf War Syndrome. This was also prior to my diagnosis of fibromyalgia. To add, I was also stationed at MWSS 272 New River Airbase during 1990, where vehicle were being painted as well as a motor transport driver moving airplane and helicopter parts and working in the areas of jet fuel during the commencement of wartime.

What if any course of action do I need to take to have these service-connected as it relates to kidney stones and fibromyalgia?  I am already 70% TDIU, for tennitus and PTSD. I have been diagnosed finally as having fibromyalgia in June 2017, for which previously I was denied neurological disorders. I am a diabetic with, high blood pressure and 16 of 18 points for fibromyalgia.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

"I do know that Gulf War Syndrome lists the Red Sea as an area of claim but during the Southwest Asia Threat. It appears, that I should still be service-connected but I'm unsure as personnel at Battle Creek, VA, suggested that I couldn't claim Gulf War Syndrome. This was also prior to my diagnosis of fibromyalgia. To add, I was also stationed at MWSS 272 N"

Can you prove you swam in the Red Sea and when ? Buddy statements would help-

Eritrea, Massawam and Addis Ababa are all in Africa-bu as you said the Red Sea is within the GWS regulations.

Were you ever stationed at Camp Le Jeune- and if so when----

That might well be a good way to go-might-

Has any doctor suggested your kidney problems are due to kidney toxicity, possible from contaminated water?

"There clearly appears to be another factor at play. Indeed, the August 2011 VA examiner rendered a positive medical opinion, that the Veteran's chronic renal impairment, or kidney condition, is as least as likely as not (50/50 probability) caused by or a result of the Veteran's exposure to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune. More specifically, the examiner stated that even though a review of the Veteran's STRs show that the Veteran was not treated for this condition in service, notice to the examiners provided with this request indicate that the water supply at Camp Lejeune was contaminated between 1957 and 1987 with TCE, PCE, benzene and vinyl chloride.  The Veteran was at the camp during that time period. The examiner also cited that kidney toxicity is listed by the National Academy of Sciences 2009 report as among the14 conditions that were identified as having limited suggestive evidence of an associated with TCE, PCE or a solvent mixture exposure. "

I need to repeat that:

"the water supply at Camp Lejeune was contaminated between 1957 and 1987 with TCE, PCE, benzene and vinyl chloride."

"It is clear that the Veteran was exposed daily to contaminated water and ionizing radiation. Collectively, the preponderance of the evidence weighs in favor a finding that his condition incurred in service. His kidney condition is presumed to have occurred in service. Therefore, service connection for kidney condition is appropriate. "

https://www.va.gov/vetapp18/files3/1818708.txt

New River had contaminanted water as well:

"If you served at Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune or Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) New River in North Carolina, you may have had contact with contaminants in the drinking water there. Scientific and medical evidence has shown an association between exposure to these contaminants during military service and development of certain diseases later on. If you have qualifying service at Camp Lejeune and a current diagnosis of one of the conditions listed below, you may be able to get disability benefits."

1 hour ago, SSGTMARINE88 said:

MWSS 272 New River Airbase

https://www.vets.gov/disability-benefits/conditions/exposure-to-hazardous-materials/contaminated-drinking-water-at-camp-lejeune/

I dont know MWSS 272  272 is the same area that MCAS is in.

There clearly appears to be another factor at play. Indeed, the August 2011 VA examiner rendered a positive medical opinion, that the Veteran's chronic renal impairment, or kidney condition, is as least as likely as not (50/50 probability) caused by or a result of the Veteran's exposure to contaminated water at Camp Lejeune. More specifically, the examiner stated that even though a review of the Veteran's STRs show that the Veteran was not treated for this condition in service, notice to the examiners provided with this request indicate that the water supply at Camp Lejeune was contaminated between 1957 and 1987 with TCE, PCE, benzene and vinyl chloride.  The Veteran was at the camp during that time period. The examiner also cited that kidney toxicity is listed by the National Academy of Sciences 2009 report as among the14 conditions that were identified as having limited suggestive evidence of an associated with TCE, PCE or a solvent mixture exposure. 

Do you have a complete set of your SMRs and 201 Personnel file from the service?

Remember this. anything you claim happened while STATIONED IN AN ACTIVE THEATER OF WAR.. must be taken as true and correct fact, unless is so riduculous it seems to be false. heres how much leeway it has though, a guy claimed he was kidnapped by aliens, and he WON!!! no shit.

For  claims purposes and research here is a link.

Looks like Ethiopia was not at war in 1994 -  PDF file.... 

file:///C:/Users/lorim/Downloads/Violent_Conflict_Dataset_combined%20(1).pdf