Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Second PSY exam for IU?

Rate this question

CaptainJack

Question

Hello everyone,

Back in March I went through two C&P exams for my requested increase in ratings.

The PTSD exam came back with a 70% rating(up from 30%), neck 20% and back 10% for an overall of 80%.

Because I had to quit my job at the end of February due to mental health issues, I filed for TDIU. Tomorrow I have another psy exam to attend in reference to the IU claim and I was curious if this is normal?

And how worried should I be about not only a denial of IU but a new psy doctor reducing my 70% ptsd rating?

Thanks for any thoughts or insights,

Jack

jmo -

not enough time has passed since your recent award of 70% - I would think it highly unlikely it would be decreased at this time. I too had a Psy C & P for my IU application - very common to have another since it is a separate process. 

Go in be honest they have a lot of information in front of them. 

20 minutes ago, L said:

jmo -

not enough time has passed since your recent award of 70% - I would think it highly unlikely it would be decreased at this time. I too had a Psy C & P for my IU application - very common to have another since it is a separate process. 

Go in be honest they have a lot of information in front of them. 

34 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

Hello everyone,

Back in March I went through two C&P exams for my requested increase in ratings.

The PTSD exam came back with a 70% rating(up from 30%), neck 20% and back 10% for an overall of 80%.

Because I had to quit my job at the end of February due to mental health issues, I filed for TDIU. Tomorrow I have another psy exam to attend in reference to the IU claim and I was curious if this is normal?

And how worried should I be about not only a denial of IU but a new psy doctor reducing my 70% ptsd rating?

Thanks for any thoughts or insights,

Jack

JMO, too

Yes, it’s always normal.  However, I’ll go further with my opinion.  This pending examiner isn’t your friend and won’t deviate from the most recent, favorable decision.  Depending on your age (yes age) even though they’re not suppose to consider it, whether or not you’ve tried and failed VR&E, received a favor Medical Opinion, and fired from your job.  You’re likely going to get denied this time around.  You’ll need to be still receiving treatment/therapy/medication.  The best deciding factor is the VA psychiatrist making the statement, “you’re unable to maintain employment.”  He/she should be able to make that statement via VA medical records.

54 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

Because I had to quit my job at the end of February due to mental health issues

If you quit all on your own it probably isn't good. They have used that against me since 2000. Though I can't find it in the 

M21-1 they apparently want someone, one of your doctors or VR&E to state you are unable to maintain employment.

testing my signature

2 minutes ago, MPsgt said:

JMO, too

Yes, it’s always normal.  However, I’ll go further with my opinion.  This pending examiner isn’t your friend and won’t deviate from the most recent, favorable decision.  Depending on your age (yes age) even though they’re not suppose to consider it, whether or not you’ve tried and failed VR&E, received a favor Medical Opinion, and fired from your job.  You’re likely going to get denied this time around.  You’ll need to be still receiving treatment/therapy/medication.  The best deciding factor is the VA psychiatrist making the statement, “you’re unable to maintain employment.”  He/she should be able to make that statement via VA medical records.

Yeah, I'm planning on a denial the first time around.

I just turned 65 last March, so I'm sure that will come into consideration at some point.

I resigned from my part time job back at the end of February after finishing the tear down of an annual Christmas drive through display.

I've been the supervisor for twenty years and if I hadn't had a second in command for the last several years, I doubt the festival would have been up and running on time these last several years. As much as my physical problems have increased(because of SC injuries)over the last five plus years, the mental issue has become too much.

31 minutes ago, CaptainJack said:

Yeah, I'm planning on a denial the first time around.

I just turned 65 last March, so I'm sure that will come into consideration at some point.

I resigned from my part time job back at the end of February after finishing the tear down of an annual Christmas drive through display.

I've been the supervisor for twenty years and if I hadn't had a second in command for the last several years, I doubt the festival would have been up and running on time these last several years. As much as my physical problems have increased(because of SC injuries)over the last five plus years, the mental issue has become too much.

When do you see your psychiatrist again?  Ideally, the VA psychiatrist would be the best for the medical opinion.  “Due to the severity of your  SC disabilities/MH issues.” “The Veteran is 50% more likely than not, unable to maintain gainful employment.” Even better if the doctor further states, “the condition is permanently and totally debilitating.”  It may not be what you want to here but, I’d bet your decision.  Will stay static if you don’t get this medical opinion.

Edited by MPsgt

2 hours ago, MPsgt said:

When do you see your psychiatrist again?  Ideally, the VA psychiatrist would be the best for the medical opinion.  “Due to the severity of your  SC disabilities/MH issues.” “The Veteran is 50% more likely than not, unable to maintain gainful employment.” Even better if the doctor further states, “the condition is permanently and totally debilitating.”  It may not be what you want to here but, I’d bet your decision.  Will stay static if you don’t get this medical opinion.

I don't have a treating psychiatrist. At our local VA hospital, I only ever had appointments with an PA. Not sure they even have one

on staff at our hospital. She always thought drugs were the answer. I'll look into it.