Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Died from Agent Orange

Rate this question

freedomisntfree

Question

I am seeking help for my mother.  My father lost a long fight with cancer mid last month. He was 100% service connected for his cancer as well as man other service connected disabilities but the cancer itself was single award of 100 percent. 

We have been very fortunate m DAV officer told me all the forms that needed to be completed and I did so. The problem we have ran into is my father died mid June and his June payment was deposited in his and my mothers bank account. But here is the problem. The bank knew my father died and sent the payment from the VA back and froze the account until a death certificate was turned in. 

My mother has tried every way she knows to have the payment or adjusted payment deposited again. But has been unsuccessful. I talked with the DAV and keep getting different form to fill out requesting the reimbursement of his and her entitlements. Does anyone know the correct form to request the payment that was sent back to be reissued?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

This might be the fastest way to resolve this:

Go to :

https://www.va.gov/survivors/faqs.asp#FAQ6

Under # 6 there is a highlighted link it says to click on  :

https://www.va.gov/survivors/faqs.asp#FAQ6

It will take you to "IRIS" as this is supposed to be (per VA) the fastest way to recover the last month payment.

I am a widow myself and it seemed to take many months before VA released the amount they withdrew from our checking account-but that was 23 years ago whe my husband died.

They withdrew the cash in less than a week but they took over 2 years to award me DIC and accrued.

Something you vets need to put into your VA paperwork  and Death files-

(The link above )if the deceased veteran was getting 100% or a higher comp than that with SMC-and dependents - this cash will be withdraw from the checking account, if it was a co -account between the spouse and the veterans faster then any anything else the VA can do.:angry:

You are Welcome-but I read the post too fast-

"the bank knew my father died and sent the payment from the VA back and froze the account until a death certificate was turned in. "

I thought the VA withdrew the amount themselves-in any event - I know there is LOTS of paperwork when a veteran dies- I am so sorry for your loss.

I think the VA will need probate info from your mother- they will ask if they do-As I recall ( my husbad died at age 47) he had never prepared a Will, so I had to become his Estate Administrator- The surrogate's office gave me some more paper work and said take this to your lawyer- but I told her I am a Pro Se attorney- and she said OH -good you can certainly do this yourself.It was fairly easy.

I guess I needed that probate stuff when he died for DIC and accrued--for the VA- and then I am 100% sure the AO Nehmer VARO people asked me for it ,for my AO IHD death claim.

Click on:

https://iris.custhelp.va.gov/

Go to the Contact Us button to the upper right-,then click on Ask a Question, 

fill out all fields and then click on Submit Button.

I have never seen a Send button there-

If that does not work, go to 

https://www.va.gov/survivors/  -their email addy is at bottom of the article-

You might have to ask the Questions as if your mother were asking-as the surviving spouse -at IRIS.

Also she might want to get an ebenefit account too ...others here know how to do that.