VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Claimed Denied

Rate this question

Last of a dying breed

Question

I have been denied several of my claims sleep apnea,severeanxiety,depression,kerotoncontis.These diagnosises were given by the V.A.,I served as a combat Infantry air assault soldier for six years 1998 - 2005,I have never been deployed.Unfortunately, When my unit came down on orders to deploy to Afghanistan is recieved orders to go Korea.Which made feel like a coward.I'm dealing with this issue with my MH team which I don't trust due to them working for the VA .I have serious trust issues and very hypervengalent.So I'm reaching out for guidance to group of my peers who I feel that I can trust and can relate.

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

7 hours ago, Buck52 said:

If you have been in fear for your life  and waiting to be deployed to combat zone but never was,  you still should meet the criteria as if you were in a combat zone diagnose for PTSD by the VA using the DSM 5 Criteria then in my opinion you do have a legitimate argument to file a Claim. 

JMO

I don't want to be dismissive of anyone's claims either.. but I have my doubts about getting service connect just because you were waiting for deployment to a combat zone.  If this were actually true I would think more veterans would be rated for PTSD , and this is one reason I have never heard anyone claim.  But I learn something new everyday.  As to your service in Korea.. I was in Korea 1971- 1973... I was at Camp Hovey rotating to the DMZ... I could understand someone getting PTSD if they served on the Z....but just waiting in Korea for you buddies to come back from combat.. I have a little trouble understanding that... I also had the unfortunate duty to be  assigned to Fort Sill in 1973 and I was in the Honor Guard of the 1/31 Infantry detailed as the Head pall bearer for military funerals all over  Oklahoma, Missouri, and even some in Texas.. talk about depressing...  Now mind you the bodies were already prepared for burial and we did not see them unless they were open casket and ready to be buried.. but even this can wear on a body and from what I know of,  the detail I was NCOIC of .. not one of my guys claimed any mental problems... and we were doing 8-10 funerals a week.... at one point.  Maybe you can see why the VA would question your claim.,..I actually have a hard time understanding it also.... Heck I was in a serious Jeep accident knocked out for 3.5 days.. ended up with TBI, Neck , back and eye issues...I never wanted to ride in another Jeep but I didn't have any mental issues... It could be argued I had a case of PTSD but I never  made such a claim..... And as had been stated unless you were in Combat, or even had a rape.. the VA is going to look long and hard at your claims...

• HadIt.com Elder

I understand what you mean, but this type of stress is one than than can cause PTSD & would need to be evaluated by a Qualified Dr   usually a Depression Disorder is diagnosed. but they look at the symptoms too.

In fear for your if waiting to be deployed at any given time to a combat zone  is certainly stressful and can and will cause MH Disorders

Veterans don't have to be in a combat zone to be diagnose for MH Disorder  has long a he/ she was traumatize with things that can cause MH Disorders (PTSD Included) So not knowing when your going to be deployed (waiting and in fear for your life) is a trauma on the mind and body.

its up to the Dr's to figure it all out 

I was in the 2/75th Ranger Bn. Weeks before they were deployed to Grenada, I was sent to Germany. Did I get pissed? Yes. Depressed? nothing that a good beer and a 5 mile run the next day would not cure. It could not rise to the level of stressor for me. Its ancient history now. 

By the time the first Gulf war went down, I was to old to re-up and stayed on the sidelines. Rite of passage? To me, it was being ready to go when I was told. To young for Nam, to old for the Gulf, but I served with honor. Asknod is correct, they will ask some tough questions about your stressor. If the answers are not believable, it will become an insurmountable issue. Get a good Psych and get him to document this professionally, without that I do not think that it will happen.

• HadIt.com Elder

I agree I don't think they would diagnose him for PTSD waiting to be deployed? but never was.

but this is what I mention the Dr's will have to evaluate him to make a decision.as to his MH Disorder

they could diagnose him for some other MH disorder like High Anxiety unable to adjust or something like that...the MDD Could be caused by something other than the waiting to be deployed.

I remember when I was deployed to Vietnam  it never really sunk in to me until we all were actually on the plane , it was on that long ass plane ride that I Started to think about how I may never see my family again and had this silent fear ..its hard to explain to this day   ...I'd have to say a solider just has to experience this feeling for himself. (The fear never leaves you)

Even with or without a MH Diagnosis the VA will see you for MH issues and treatment. Take the help - it will change your life in a good way. The Peer groups have been a Godsend - weekly support. 

Edited by L

I joined at the age of 17 Nov 1975 - 4 months after Vietnam ended. I had tried unsuccessfully for a year to get in, Being a woman I had to wait for a slot- Billet to go to bootcamp.... I understand. @pwrslm