• veteranscrisisline-badge-chat-1.gif

• Advertisemnt

• Trouble Remembering? This helped me.

I have memory problems and as some of you may know I highly recommend Evernote and have for years. Though I've found that writing helps me remember more. I ran across Tom's videos on youtube, I'm a bit geeky and I also use an IPad so if you take notes on your IPad or you are thinking of going paperless check it out. I'm really happy with it, I use it with a program called Noteshelf 2.

Click here to purchase your digital journal. HadIt.com receives a commission on each purchase.

• 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims

questions-001@3x.png

When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading

• Ads

• Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   

tinnitus-005.pngptsd-005.pnglumbosacral-005.pngscars-005.pnglimitation-flexion-knee-005.pngdiabetes-005.pnglimitation-motion-ankle-005.pngparalysis-005.pngdegenerative-arthitis-spine-005.pngtbi-traumatic-brain-injury-005.png

• Advertisemnt

• VA Watchdog

• Advertisemnt

• Ads

• Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

employment 2.jpeg

You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sign in to follow this  
GeekySquid

NOD, CUE, or some other process

Question

Hi all,

As i said in another post I am new here and looking for guidance, opinion, options that may be available to me.

Without all the gory and boring details, I am currently rated SC 70% PTSD, 10% Tinnitus with a statement that my bilateral hearing loss is not service connected.

This all comes from the same original claim in 2012.

I found out last year, 2017, that in making the bilateral determination the doctor only looked at my second enlistment and did not review any records from my first enlistment.

I found this out when going through my records which took years for the VA to "Find".

In the records are audiology test records from the first enlistment which show the damage occurred in service. In my first enlistment I had 3 audiograms. 1 to enlist, 1 diagnosing problem, 1 to re-enlist. in my second enlistment I had exactly 1 audiogram which was when I completed my enlistment.

In the record from the first enlistment is a piece of paper that says  "rehabilitation plan complete." but no other information. When I took the 2nd test they told me to wear earplugs when i could. That was it.

In the test results between enlistment and the 2nd test it shows the loss in both ears.  The final test on discharge says hearing is the same as at re-enlistment which was after the damage.

So here is my question on this:

What are my options to challenge this decision? I did not discover that they did not look at both enlistments until last year, which is 5 years after they granted me my initial 70 & 10 percent ratings.

Is there an option? Do i start it all over again? would I need to get a lawyer?

any suggestions would be great

Thanks

You pretty much just described 38 CFR 3.156 C.  It is a way you can "reopen" a claim due to new and material service records.  You dont have to prove your issue meets the CUE standard of review, you need only meet the benefit of the doubt that Vets have with a reopening of your claim.  You should get it "backdated", if you get an additional award.  

38 CFR 3.156 C reads

§ 3.156 New and material evidence.

(a)General. A claimant may reopen a finally adjudicated claim by submitting new and material evidence. New evidence means existing evidence not previously submitted to agency decisionmakers. Material evidence means existing evidence that, by itself or when considered with previous evidence of record, relates to an unestablished fact necessary to substantiate the claim. New and material evidence can be neither cumulative nor redundant of the evidence of record at the time of the last prior final denial of the claim sought to be reopened, and must raise a reasonable possibility of substantiating the claim.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501, 5103A(f), 5108)

(b)Pending claim. New and material evidence received prior to the expiration of the appeal period, or prior to the appellate decision if a timely appeal has been filed (including evidence received prior to an appellate decision and referred to the agency of original jurisdiction by the Board of Veterans Appeals without consideration in that decision in accordance with the provisions of § 20.1304(b)(1) of this chapter), will be considered as having been filed in connection with the claim which was pending at the beginning of the appeal period.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501)

(c)Service department records.

(1) Notwithstanding any other section in this part, at any time after VA issues a decision on a claim, if VA receives or associates with the claims file relevant official service department records that existed and had not been associated with the claims file when VA first decided the claim, VA will reconsider the claim, notwithstanding paragraph (a) of this section. Such records include, but are not limited to:

(i) Service records that are related to a claimed in-service event, injury, or disease, regardless of whether such records mention the veteran by name, as long as the other requirements of paragraph (c) of this section are met;

(ii) Additional service records forwarded by the Department of Defense or the service department to VA any time after VA's original request for service records; and

(iii) Declassified records that could not have been obtained because the records were classified when VA decided the claim.

(2) Paragraph (c)(1) of this section does not apply to records that VA could not have obtained when it decided the claim because the records did not exist when VA decided the claim, or because the claimant failed to provide sufficient information for VA to identify and obtain the records from the respective service department, the Joint Services Records Research Center, or from any other official source.

(3) An award made based all or in part on the records identified by paragraph (c)(1) of this section is effective on the date entitlement arose or the date VA received the previously decided claim, whichever is later, or such other date as may be authorized by the provisions of this part applicable to the previously decided claim.

(4) A retroactive evaluation of disability resulting from disease or injury subsequently service connected on the basis of the new evidence from the service department must be supported adequately by medical evidence. Where such records clearly support the assignment of a specific rating over a part or the entire period of time involved, a retroactive evaluation will be assigned accordingly, except as it may be affected by the filing date of the original claim.

(Authority: 38 U.S.C. 501(a))

@broncovet

Thank you for that quick response. Now I need to figure out the process to reopen under 38 CFR 3.156 C and what I have to attach/send it with it.

At this particular minute that file is in a storage locker in NOLA so I will see if I can get the Seattle RO to produce my C-file which should have the denial letter saying they only looked at one enlistment period. I think it "should" also contain the hearing tests I mentioned from both my enlistments.

The fact of the matter is that ringing in both ears is frequently so loud I cannot hear words shouted at me two feet in front of my face. The only place I have ever worked or spent considerable time with loud noises is during my service, on the flight line, deck and in the shops. The exploding airplane did not help. All that is documented as is the loss.

Thank you again.

Good point.  I always used to apply to reopen, just using the "general" form 21-4138, and state I wish to reopen (PTSD or issue claimed) due to new and material evidence, 38 CFR 3.156  (new evidence should be enclosed).  

But, VA has become anal requiring a specific form, so apply here. https://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-526EZ-ARE.pdf

Clearly state this is a reopening of a previously denlied claim under 38 CFR 3.156 C.  

OR, read what NVLSP has to say about it:

http://www.purpleheart.org/ServiceProgram/Training2011/T-1 Imp court case N&Ml Evidence.pdf

@broncovet

Thank you so much for the links. I will start reading them now.

I am grateful that folks like you have waded through the VA Lingo and Gordian knots of misdirection to gain accreditation as a Veterans Agent and or your other titles.

@broncovet

Follow up.

I just read the 526 form and I have what may seem like stupid questions to you but that is how my mind works.

The form is for a Fully Qualified Claim expedited process or standard process.

question 1)

In the section IV Claim information, I want to make sure that since this is about getting them to look at N&M for bilateral hearing loss and nothing else, the only claim and conditions I have to list are the relevant ones. Meaning my 70% rating for PTSD does not have to be included at this time. I assume they will know I am 70% and I don't want to confuse the rater /reviewer in any way.

question 2)

in section VI Service Pay (Retired Pay, Separation Pay, and Disability Severance Pay)

In the past different parts and people at the VA have used confusing terms concerning my Disability Compensation, including calling it a Pension. I found out the hard way it is not technically a pension. So in this case for this section does Disability Severance Pay actually encompass Disability Compensation awarded through a C& P?

I see the not about Severance pay in the form, I just want to make sure I am not misunderstanding the entire scope of how va may mix and match these terms.

I know what Severance means, and I know how to use a dictionary, I just want to make sure the VA folks and I are using the same definition as frequently vets and va have different definitions for the same words.

question 3)

Should I wait until my recent C&P review is completed or at least registers in ebenefits before I submit this?

I stated in another post that I just went through a C&P Review at a QTC contract center two days ago. The doctor, a PhD who says he has been doing the C&P work for 20 years and has been a shrink for 50 years, told me specifics from the report he is going to submit. He did tell me they were not supposed to discuss what the raters might decide etc. but he said in his experience his reports on people like me receive significant bumps in %.

He said he was going to add 3 other diagnosis to the report and that the VA required them to use 1 of 7 sentences to describe the patient. 1 being needs no help, 7 being the guy is functionally toast. His evaluation is that I am a 6.

Further he said that his report is not the VA's but mine and that in his experience his office will submit it by Monday and I should be able to see it in my records by that Friday. He further stated his office is experiencing, on average, a maximum of 5 weeks from the date of submission before the raters come to a decision and it is in my records. I don't know how accurate any of that is, but I believe he was sincere and believed what he was saying.

All that aside I don't want to introduce anything that might mess up that timeline or put a hold on that review by the raters, so should I just wait?

Thanks

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Vync
      How long does a higher level review/CUE take? I initially called the 1-800 number and they said supplemental reviews are supposed to take less than 125 days, but they were not certain about higher level reviews. The agent speculated they could take a year or longer.
      This post was changed to track my claim as it made it's way through the VA system. This may help other veterans understand some of the inner workings of what goes on behind the scenes.
      Why am I calling this HLR/CUE and not just CUE or HLR?
      At the time the claims were submitted, other members have indicated filing their CUE claims as regular letters. With the overhaul to the VA claims and appeals process in early 2019, they have became sticklers for filing on certain forms. Unfortunately, there is no mandatory form for a CUE claim. With HLR and CUE being mostly similar, aside from the restrictions of CUE, I wanted to cover my bases and not cause any delays with them having to come back and ask me to use a specific form.

HLR/CUE timeline
      2019-09-20 Mailed to VA certified mail w/return receipt
      2019-09-23 Claim received
      2019-10-08 Not yet posted to va.gov. Called 1-800-827-1000. ETA March 2020.
      2019-10-17 Moved you evidence gathering, review, and decision as of 2019-10-15. ETA November 4, 2019
      2019-10-22 Moved to initial review as of 2019-10-03. ETA March 30, 2020
      2019-10-24 Requested records
      2019-10-29 va.gov status unchanged. Development letter sent. Called 1-800-827-1000. Claim is in the national work queue and being worked by Houston VARO. The development letter was the typical "we got your claim and are working on it". They sent a request to the Birmingham VAMC for medical treatment records from 1995-1999. Called the VAMC's Release of Information Office and they have 20 business days to complete the request.
      2019-11-25 Called 1-800-827-1000. Status still unchanged, but the suspense date of the medical treatment records request has expired. VA agent sent IRIS request. Called the VAMC's Release of Information Office. Paper copies were mailed via USPS certified mail to the Evidence Intake Center in Janesville, WI. They were nice enough to provide the USPS tracking number.
      2019-11-29 Certified mail tracking shows package was received by the Evidence Intake Center in Janesville, WI.
      2019-12-11 Called 1-800-827-1000. Paper copies have been scanned in to PDF. Waiting to be picked up by a VARO.
      2019-12-12 Called 1-800-827-1000. The call center agent (Donald) sent an IRIS request to inform the VARO that the claims are ready to proceed.
      2019-12-20 Moved you evidence gathering, review, and decision as of 2019-12-19. ETA January 23, 2020.
      2019-12-27 No change to va.gov status. Only change is ETA of May 27, 2020, which is five months out. Called 1-800-827-1000 and was given a strange status. First, they said they were waiting on more medical records from the VAMC from December 20, 2019 through January 20, 2020, which doesn't make much sense. I called back later in the day and was told something different. Called my POA VSO. They said the VA sent me a letter asking if I had any additional evidence to add. The VSO said the ETA is probably out so far because they are waiting for a response from someone outside of the VA system (i.e. me).
      2019-12-30 Checked va.gov and noticed it says they sent me a development letter and items need attention. Called 1-800-827-1000 and they said a letter was not sent out and they are not waiting on anything from me. My claim is still at the VARO and assigned to a VSR. They found a note indicating that the recent second request for VAMC medical records was in error. They said they have seen this happen before where it triggers the ETA date to be pushed out automatically. In this case, it cost me about six to seven weeks of unnecessary delay.
      2020-01-03 Checked va.gov and no change. Called 1-800-827-1000. The call center rep said it was confusing and transferred me to someone else who could help tell me what is going on. Talked with a friendly lady who said that on 2020-01-02, the person developing the claim sent a message to the quality department asking if the claim should have been submitted on 21-526EZ or 20-0995 (supplemental claim form). Fortunately, earlier today, @Dustoff 11 posted the exact information from M21-1 indicating that no specific form is required. I provided that to the lady and she sent a message to the VARO to let them know exactly where it is. No clue if they have actually processed my request and were just double-checking or if they still need to do it. At least I was able to help them to help me, I hope.
      2020-01-07 Well how about this. I received a letter in the mail from the VA yesterday which was dated 2019-12-20 requesting additional evidence (treatment records). Called 1-800-827-1000 and let them know this is for CUE and no new evidence could be added. They did say the request to revise is assigned to a rater, so that's promising.
      M21-1, Part III, Subpart iv, Chapter 2, Section B - Revision of Decisions
      III.iv.2.B.4.d. Considering Requests for Revision Based on CUE
      2020-01-09 One week has passed since VARO asked about how to proceed regarding filing using a specific form. Called 1-800-827-1000. They said it is now awaiting a decision. Estimated completion date was moved from May 2020 to February 12, 2020, which is an improvement.
      2020-01-17 No change on va.gov. Called 1-800-827-1000. They said it was status 499 (National Work Queue), not assigned to an individual and waiting to be picked up. As of 1/8, it is still "Ready for decision". Estimated completion date still February 12, 2020.
      2020-01-21 There was a change on va.gov, but it is a bit different than what I have seen previously. The estimated completion date is still February 12, 2020 and the last status was January 8th, but now it also includes three new lines talking about "We closed the notice for Request 1", "We closed the notice for Request 2", and "We closed the notice for Request 3", all dated Jan 8. This was not there last Friday. I'll take it as a good sign that something is happening.

I called 1-800-827-1000 to see what these three things are. They said that these indicators were normal, part of what they are doing while clearing things off their checklist. I called my VSO and they confirmed it is "ready for decision", where it has been for the past two weeks. They checked to see if a letter was generated, but one has not been created yet.
        I also found the answer to my question (sort of) about the "We closed the notice for Request #". I just clicked on the "Files" header at the top.

And it showed more information about each request. It's more than what the agent on the phone provided, but it still doesn't give much transparency. For example, "Recent treatment for claimed conditions" was probably the request from the VARO to the VAMC for my medical records. However, because it was CUE, the request was probably not needed because they merely needed to check my claims file.

2020-01-23 I had to call 1-800-827-1000 to check on something unrelated, so I asked them to give me a status update. The decision was made yesterday and is presently waiting for final review (i.e. approval). Once that is done, it will move to notiification. At that point, a decision letter should be inserted into the system and become visible to my VSO so I don't have to wait for it to arrive in the mail.
      2020-01-24 Friday afternoon and I checked va.gov and there was a change. Or was there? it was in step 3 yesterday and is still there today. Maybe sometimes between then and now, it was moved to step 4, but then moved back to step 3. The only visible change is the estimated completion date being pushed out by two days. No big deal. I'd rather they take a couple of extra days to get it right (I just hope they get it right). To satisfy my curiosity, I called 1-800-827-1000 to find out if that was what really happened. The first agent I spoke with was clueless and said they could not tell me anything more than what I saw on va.gov. They transferred me to a "technician", who provided a little more info, but was rather rude and made me feel like I was preventing him from leaving for the day. He said the decision was completed and they are in the process of generating the formal notification letter. He said it should be in step 4 Preparation for notification, but indicated that va.gov and ebenefits may not reflect the current status in realtime. Either way, the estimated completion date was still January 30, 2020, what I can see in va.gov.

• By RBrogen
      I wanted to send out an update on my CUE claim.  As I suspected from the process and response, I received a denial decision letter today.  They denial almost verbatim regurgitated the same statements from the original denial in 1999.  It's like the reviewer simply read the original denial, retyped it and said too bad without addressing the issue of probative values and presumption of sound condition.  My question is for next step, should I go through the process of Higher Level Review to see what they say before going to the Board of Appeals to exhaust every option before hand.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
      Best,
      Randy
    • By MarkP
      It was pointed out to me that I should file a CUE because my final rating decision although at 100% is not "permanent. They left it open for future exams. The person who suggested it just got his P&T rating and no further exams by claiming M-21-1, III.iv.3.B.2.c & d. Basically, because he was over the age of 55. My rating is for 100% for leukemia (CLL) (I know the rating criteria has been updated) and I'm over 55. Looking at the M21-1 and I feel I match four criteria listed. My question would be if the disability Rating Schedule says "perhaps" I will get reexamined in the future thinking I'm going to get cured, would that rating decision take precedent over the M21-1, or 38 CFR? I feel my condition is "static" and I have been getting worse for the past seven years and seven months, I'm over 55, the disability is permanent in character and I'm not likely going to improve,  and the evaluation (rating) is the minimum for the DC. This disability is permanent and I'm not going to be cured. There is no cure. I do realize with treatment I could go into remission some day (perhaps) and I'll understand a reevaluation if that occurs. Thoughts?
    • By RBrogen
      Quick question to see if anyone knows what happens if you win a CUE relative to back pay.  Does the VA automatically calculate any back pay based on individual solder and then you have to send them marriage cert, birth certs/ssns to show when you had your dependents added?
      I'm just curious ... not getting ahead of myself but IF I am fortunate enough to win my cue, it would mean back pay for 20 years and would also mean that I would have changed from 20% in 1999 to some higher number.  That would mean that my wife and children would also come into play starting in 2001 instead of 2019 like it is today.  I have all of that data ready but I was curious if they send you a letter first requesting it before back pay is released or if they do the initial backpay at single and you have to make the adjust it.
      Thanks as always,
      Randy
    • By RBrogen
      Happy Holidays Everyone,
      I wanted to let those of you who are interested know that the cue I filed for change of effective date from March 2018 to October 1999 is now in the "Preparation for Decision" status.  I mailed the formal CUE September 17, 2019 and it went to "Preparation for Decision" status today.  Now I'll be on pins and needles until I get the decision packet in the mail.  I'll keep you all posted!
      Best,
  • Ads

• Our picks

• Tinnitus comes in two forms: subjective and objective. In subjective tinnitus, only the sufferer will hear the ringing in their own ears. In objective tinnitus, the sound can be heard by a doctor who is examining the ear canals. Objective tinnitus is extremely rare, while subjective tinnitus is by far the most common form of the disorder.

The sounds of tinnitus may vary with the person experiencing it. Some will hear a ringing, while others will hear a buzzing. At times people may hear a chirping or whistling sound. These sounds may be constant or intermittent. They may also vary in volume and are generally more obtrusive when the sufferer is in a quiet environment. Many tinnitus sufferers find their symptoms are at their worst when they’re trying to fall asleep.

...................Buck
    • Precedent Setting CAVC cases cited in the M21-1
      A couple months back before I received my decision I started preparing for the appeal I knew I would be filing.  That is how little faith I had in the VA caring about we the veteran. 

One of the things I did is I went through the entire M21-1 and documented every CAVC precedent case that the VA cited. I did this because I wanted to see what the rater was seeing.  I could not understand for the life of me why so many obviously bad decisions were being handed down.  I think the bottom line is that the wrong type of people are hired as raters.  I think raters should have some kind of legal background.  They do not need to be lawyers but I think paralegals would be a good idea.

There have been more than 3500 precedent setting decisions from the CAVC since 1989.  Now we need to concede that all of them are not favorable to the veteran but I have learned that in a lot of cases even though the veteran lost a case it some rules were established that assisted other veterans.

The document I created has about 200 or so decisions cited in the M21-1.   Considering the fact that there are more than 3500 precedent cases out there I think it is safe to assume the VA purposely left out decisions that would make it almost impossible to deny veteran claims.  Case in point. I know of 14 precedent setting decisions that state the VA cannot ignore or give no weight to outside doctors without providing valid medical reasons as to why.  Most of these decision are not cited by the M21.

It is important that we do our due diligence to make sure we do not get screwed.  I think the M21-1 is incomplete because there is too much information we veterans are finding on our own to get the benefits we deserve

M21-1 Precedent setting decisions .docx
        • Thanks
      • 5 replies
    • Any one heard of this , I filed a claim for this secondary to hypertension, I had a echo cardiogram, that stated the diagnosis was this heart disease. my question is what is the rating for this. attached is the Echo.

doc00580220191213082945.pdf
      • 7 replies
    • Need your support - T-shirts Available - Please buy a mug or a membership
      if you have been thinking about subscribing to an ad-free forum or buying a mug now would a very helpful time to do that.

Thank you for your support
      • 18 replies
    • OK everyone thanks for all the advice I need your help I called VSO complained about length of time on Wednesday of this week today I checked my E benefits and my ratings are in for my ankles that they were denying me 10% for each bilateral which makes 21% I was originally 80% now they’re still saying I’m 80% 

I’m 50% pes planus 30% migraine headaches 20% lumbar 10% tinnitus and now bilateral 21% so 10% left and right ankle Can someone else please do the math because I come up with 86% which makes me 90 what am I missing please help and thank you
  • Ads

• Popular Contributors

• Ad

• Latest News

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines