VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA disability, COE, and a new OTH characterization- will this eliminate existing benefits?

Rate this question

Akay

Question

I hope this is the correct place to put this, if not- my apologies.

I was in the Army Reserves.  In 2012 I had two periods of active duty.  During the first period of active duty I had what I know now to be amyopathic dermatomyositis.  This condition still effects me to this day.  In 2013 I was rated for this condition and a few others, totaling 80%.  In 2017 I was reevaluated and I am now at 90%.  I have two DD214s, one for each period of AD and each with an honorable discharge.

Here's my problem- I went to apply for a COE for a VA Home Loan.  They asked for a statement of service as the Army Reserve does not issue a DD214 at the end of contract.  I contacted my unit and they told me they would get me one, but that my characterization will be other than honorable.  Back story: In 2013 I became a single parent of my two infant children, this made attending drill nearly impossible, as I did not live around family and could not find someone to watch my children.  My unit did not provide child care during drill (some in my area did, but they would never let me transfer). They let me make up my missed days during the week for awhile (when my kids could go to day care), but this only lasted as long as the commander would allow it.  When the commander changed, I was a non-participant for the remainder of my contract, however I would attend yearly medical appointments per their request.  This had something to do with my "status," and someone basically explained to me it was for their readiness numbers and if I didn't complete the appointments I would mess them up.  Basically- I did what I could in the situation I was given.

The OTH discharge was somewhat of a surprise, because I was told by the old 42A (HR person) in my unit that my characterization would just be 'general', but alas, that person is no longer there.  I guess I'm the idiot that didn't get this document when I should have.

Basically my question is- will the VA eliminate my existing disability because of this new characterization?  I'm not even sure they will be aware, unless I submit it for the COE.  Should I submit this for the COE, is there any chance I will be approved for the COE with an OTH discharge and two prior honorable discharges?  I was under the impression that I had over the amount of days required for a COE with my active duty days, I didn't expect the VA to ask for a statement of service. Any advice? I'm at a point where I'm wondering if I should leave this alone or submit a statement of service with an OTH discharge. Thanks.

Update: Army HRC had already issued me a general discharge under honorable conditions, I found this document by purely by chance on Milconnect.  42A at my unit basically had no idea about anything.

Edited by Akay
added indo

Even outside of the military, "no show" pretty much means you are fired, unless you had a compelling reason, and you had better not repeat that, either.  

Some companies use the "3 strikes and your out".  I think that is fair, but its probably not that liberal in much of the military.  Our mission, to keep the rest of America safe, is too important.  

Edited by broncovet