VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

COLA numbers to be released this morning.

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

The CPIW is scheduled to be released this morning at 8:30 AM.  This means that math nerds can calculate the amount of our raise in January.  While Im a math nerd, Im a retired math nerd, which means that I have the option of allowing "other math nerds" look up the formula and calculate how this CPI W will translate into a percent of raise.  I elect that option.  However, I will likely post other nerds numbers for you, as they become available.    The "nerd numbers" wont be official.  That will come from congress, but there is great pressure on them to follow this precedence or be tarred and feathered and ran out of town this close to an election.  

source:

https://www.bls.gov/schedule/news_release/cpi.htm

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

looks like a SS 2.8% increase and that may change something about the Hurricane in Florida ?

https://www.investmentnews.com/article/20180914/BLOG05/180919949/2019-social-security-cost-of-living-adjustment-now-expected-to-be-2#.W78YgvmlqW4.yahoom

Edited by Buck52

Hi Bronco,

How is the annual COLA calculation coincide with the law ( HR4958 ) the President signed this past week? In addition would be a miracle. Sounds like it gave the VA Secretary authority alone to bump up the disability rates. 

Good point, Iraqx2.  .  Given that Im not a lawyer, I wont offer an opinion as to whether the (law change) means that we will/or will not get a COLA this year, but my post did say this would be up to congress, as every year, to decide if Vets get a COLA or not, based on the CPI W.  However, each year in the past, Vets wound up getting the same Cola as Social Security recipients, so my assumption that ours would be the same also does have a very long history.  

If someone else would like to read this bill you posted, and offer their opinion, then they can feel free to do so.  We did have 3 years when we did NOT get a Cola, as many of us remember, during the Obama administration, but social security recipients also did not get a COLA for those same 3 years.  (2010,2011, and 2016.  In 2017, the Cola was so small that it was less than 1/2 of 1%)  

All this said, Im not sure very many politicians would vote "against Veterans" and not put into place the usual COLA this year, based on CPI-W.   There are about 25 million Veterans, and many more people who support us, and my guess is that any politician who desired to keep his job "would not want" to vote against Veterans Cola, with a possible exception being if the VASEC decided to award Veterans an even larger raise.  

And, yes, its even possible that Vets get the usual Cola, AND a raise from the VASEC.  Reason:  VA got a huge 12 billion bump in budget from Congress, so they are "flush" with money.   I think some people would be very angry if congress gives VA 12 billion more this year, and not a penny goes to Veterans. 

https://www.va.gov/opa/pressrel/pressrelease.cfm?id=4007 

Edited by broncovet

HR4958 looks to contain the exact same text as all the previous Veterans' Compensation Cost-of-Living Adjustment Act of XXXX.

The only difference being the date it is to be effective.