VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Non-VA care

Rate this question

Through the looking glass

Question

Hello all, 

I receive steroid injections in multiple locations for my spine. My rheumatologist at the VA put in for me to receive the injections closer to my home (the nearest VA hospital is a 4 hour round trip drive, we have a small outpatient clinic 30 min from my house, but it only handles basic needs and none of the specialty care I require). The request was denied.  The advocate that would have helped veterans with these types of issues was let go recently and when I talked to a different patient advocate, they said it’s been a mess since then, as many veterans who qualify for outside care have been hitting road bumps (so to speak).  My question, is who do I contact to find out why it was denied, and how do I approach the issue?  

Just wanted to update you all. I called the White House hotline and received a call from the va hospital today. So because there is a small outpatient clinic here in my town (primary care and mental health services only, they don’t even have a pharmacy). I am not eligiblie for choice, but I do qualify for community based care. So now triwest will cover my specialty care. The person I talked to said it can take up to a month tor get everything in order. I am super happy that it all worked out.  The White House hotline is a lifesaver. 

through the looking glass, my Stimulator is working really good for me.  Are you retired military?  If so you would qualify for Stimulator.  They make you go thru physicological testing.   Not sure why.  I geuss so some dr makes money off it too.  But has Buck said they let you do a trail .  In the the trial they put these little wires up your spine.  They are really small.  And they program the remote  and they tape the implant on the outside of your backside.    You can control the remote yourself.  But if you get at least 50% improvement you are good to go.  But I will tell you I have more improvement now than I did with trial.  I did get a new bed to.  And it has helped even more.  My problem now is my back gets very tired.  I’m just taking it slow.  And I’m thinking of doing some water type exercise to help  restore some back muscles more and my core muscles.  If you ask your pain doctor they should know about it.  Look on internet on Boston Scientific.com.  Good luck, With whatever you decide.

Edited by treysnonna
Add more

@treysnonnathank you for the input.  I am currently starting a new medicine and my rheumatologist and spine doctor want to wait and see if it helps at all before a stimulator.  I will keep you posted on how things go.