VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

AO - Prostate Cancer - ITF?

Rate this question

VN-Vet

Question

I have read what threads, that would come up here, on prostate cancer and agent orange, and what is on the VA site. 

I realize that having served in Vietnam, my recently diagnosed prostate cancer should be a presumptive of agent orange by the VA, and I should get 100% disability for as long as I show active cancer, *** and I believe while I am being treated – or perhaps I must be in an approved treatment process, and then for 6 months after treatment ends. 

I had also thought I had read here that the VA does NOT recognize Watchful Waiting / Active Surveillance, as therapies that they will continue to payout on – but hopefully I am wrong, but I can’t seem to find that thread now, or it may be one of the threads I can’t get to come up now. 

My first question has to do with what ‘date’ will the VA use as the start date of compensation? I had filed an ITF, several months back, as I am also developing other claims for other conditions I have, and have had for some time. 

I believe that if I file for my ‘Agent Orange - Prostate Cancer’ before I file my other claims, that will use the placeholder my ITF provides, but what I don’t know is, if the VA will use the ITF date to start my PC compensation, or try and use the date of my biopsies or pathology reports, and I’ll just lose out on the months between those dates?

It was in the process of seeing the many doctors for the other conditions when  my prostate cancer was found, not a pleasant surprise. I don’t really have a large prostate, comparatively, and my PSA is under 10, but it is the small size and higher PSA for its size that places me at a higher risk, as well as the inclusion of ‘Perineural Invasion’ (PNI), that my private urologist wants to take more immediate action.

I am preparing myself for what is ahead, it has been a week today that I found out. I have read tons of stuff, but mostly created 5 or more years ago – and much has changed. I really like my urologist and trust him, but I also believe I need a second opinion as far as treatments are concerned, as I would hate second guessing myself for a hasty decision. (btw – my urologist is retired Army – interned at Walter Reed)

My second question is – how do I file? I tried calling the newer local VA clinic, The Regional VA hospital, and the VA 800 number. I have left my number for a return call on some, and was told by a recording that due to unavoidable circumstances my call cannot be answered, other times.

I have my dd214 showing my tours in Vietnam, I have my urologist’s diagnosis and copy of the pathology report, I have our marriage license, what else would I need if I just showed up at the clinic to file a claim? 

Third question – not as important – is there anyway I can file my other claims, not developed, before I file the PC claim, if I find out I would otherwise lose the ITF date when filing the PC claim?

Edited by VN-Vet

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Looks like everything went OK with the claim, as it shows today as 100% and dated back to the date of diagnosis  - and paperwork is supposed to be in the mail.

On eBenies  I entered my marriage info and put a checking account number in for direct deposit.

Anything else I should do now?

Now my question is - can I file a new 'Intent to File' for other claims? I was definitely afraid to do his until the initial claim was approved.

FYI - my C&P went OK with QTC - they called a few days later and wanted to let me know I may have a UTI, and that my PSA was then 0.1 - which is higher than I had hoped. I go back to my oncologist/urologist in a week or so for my first official PSA screen. 

Also - Do I call and make an appointment with VA Health to start getting my meds and pads from them?

THanks everyone - while you may not have posted here - I still used what I could glean from here.

• HadIt.com Elder

Yes you can file  new claims any time you want  the ITF is a good deal.

There is no limit as for as filing claims., when or how many...the limits starts after  a denial. then its Appeal time.

Got everything rolling on the PCa - AO - 100% now - but still waiting on the USPS to deliver official notification, will be 5 business days tomorrow.

Question - will the PSA blood results, urine analysis, CBC - results from the C&P exam be in the package from the VA? I really need them to compare to my next PSA test next Tuesday?