VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

when filing a claim do we put in codes?

Rate this question

wjrasmussen

Question

Just curious, do we put in the codes we are requesting to be awarded if the claim goes through, or does the code number get resolved through the process?

For example, I have:

Moderate C4-C7 intervertebral disc height narrowing and uncovertebral joint hypertrophy.

Moderate degenerative disc disease throughout the thoracic, lumbar spine. Grade 1 L3 anterolisthesis.

Anterior wedging at T11, T12.

I put in for degenerative disc disease but wasn't sure if I should have used numbers.   What are we suppose to do?

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

The VA rater codes disabilities after the C & P exam.

You can find how they code them in the link here to the VA Schedule of Ratings. It begins about half way down the link scroll bar.

Do you have a solid nexus to your service for these conditions?

I agree with Berta..dont put in the codes.  ONE reason.  Even tho doctor "A" says you have a c4 -c7 issue, doc B may say its C3 to c8.  

You are probably not a spine expert, tell the VA you want benefits for your "spine and related issues", dont try to diagnose your own back issues.  Diagnosis can change.  

On 10/19/2018 at 5:28 AM, Berta said:

The VA rater codes disabilities after the C & P exam.

You can find how they code them in the link here to the VA Schedule of Ratings. It begins about half way down the link scroll bar.

Do you have a solid nexus to your service for these conditions?

I don't have any nexus statement.  I am getting letters from two chiropractors I had been treated by for since 1996.  Can the VA doctors sign a nexus form?   Also, the C&P doctor said during the exam he believes that these are 100% service connected.

Yes, VA doctors "can" sign a nexus form, and you "can" also win the lottery, too.  The trouble is, there is no VA "nexus" form...an intentional oversight.  If your doctor is an "expert" in his respective field, he can provide a nexus.  It needs to be very close to this:

1.  The doctor states he reviewed your records and gives you a CV of his/her qualifications to make a professional opinion.  

2.  The doctor states "its at least as likely as not" that your (diagnosis) is related to "xyz" event which occurred during your military service.  He then needs to explain why.  (medical rationale).  

If your doctor does not do 1 and 2, above, expect your claim to be denied.  

Edited by broncovet