Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nexus Letter

Rate this question

James Mx432nz

Question

4 answers to this question

A nexus 'letter' is not required. A nexus, or relationship between your service and your MS IS. If your doctor writes in your diagnosis that its service connected, then its the same thing. If you had MS 'in service' and it didnt present until within a 7 yr period after your last active service of at least 90 days, it can be presumptively service connected. Doctors, civilian, and VA, don't always like to sign off on things that have been typed/written by the veteran because their license is riding on the truthfulness of whatever it says if they sign it. I wouldn't spend my time chasing after a specific letter written that says what your diagnosis notes already say, unless they don't say it. Its going to take more than a visit or two to diagnose and connect it to something, anyway, so a doctor worth his license shouldn't just sign off on something like that. The main things that are important are when did you present symptoms, did you receive treatment in service for it (if so get those notes/records, too), and lacking that, attending enough treatment sessions with your neuro to establish a possible connective cause. If you go to 1 visit and then try to claim MS as service connected its probably going to be denied, especially if you don't have much in the way of progressive treatment and observational notes to support it. 

I appreciate your response. I feel like I might be facing an uphill battle which is fine. I was diagnosed with Lupus after getting out. By a civilian doctor. I got into the VA system late in 2014. February 2015, I woke up and couldn't move my left side. I struggled throughout the years but just pushed myself. I had a few episodes while overseas, but those incidents are not in my records. At any rate, I just am kinda lost on how to approach the claim. Me and my neurologist have a great relationship, and I plan on keeping it that way. I will likely run it by him about my claim that will be submitted. The ball will be in his court. Either way, I appreciate him and always look forward to my visits with him. Weird I guess. 

My current medical records through the VA are loaded with MS treatments. To include a chemo last February. I do not have much beyond that. No records, but can get buddy statements etc... The doctor that diagnosed me with Lupus after returning home has passed away and practice closed. I will gather my statements, to include my ex-wife, whom saw everything as we met 2 weeks after I returned to the states. As well as all current records. Other than that, not sure what else I can give them, or do to make their job easier. I agree on the presumption of connection. Not sure if that holds as much water, but in the end things usually work out. Again, thank you and have a great Thanksgiving.

Broken soldier is correct on the favorable window for presumptive MS.

The regulations are within this recent BVA grant for MS.

https://www.va.gov/vetapp18/files8/18900001.txt

In this case the VA had denied for MS but then the vet re-opened with 3 IMO/IMEs- one from Dr Bash, a well know IMO/IME doctor who also has MS.

The veteran's MS did not fit into the 7 year presumptive regulations.

ORDER

As new and material evidence has been received, the claim of 
entitlement to service connection for multiple sclerosis is 
reopened.  

Service connection for multiple sclerosis is granted.  

https://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files2/0410750.txt

This was a grant too- with IM0s from Dr. Bash and others:

https://www.va.gov/vetapp04/files3/0428859.txt

But many MS claims are denied by BVA, if they do not fit into the 7 year regulation, and they almost always require a strong IMO/IME, to succeed.

I was given the diagnosis  of ms in 1990 and it was presumptive, I was given an mri that showed mine. How were you diagnosed with ms? And the big question is when did you get discharged from the military? Like they have said so long as your diagnosis is within that 7 year time frame then ypou can get service connected for your ms. I know the minimum for ms is 30%. I  just went to an R1 rating this year, hopefully you .will not get that high too soon. Good luck with your claim